Harpoon IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorRobert

Reaction score
So SWMBO, pretty much will only drink Harpoon IPA. Ive been looking everywhere for a good clone, but there are so many inconsistencies with those recipes and from the information harpoon gives out.

http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/index.cfm?pid=28507
Harpoon says the beer is 5.9%abv, 42 IBUs, 15 EBC, 15.5 plato, and is hopped with Apollo (per inquiry with the brewery yesterday) and Cascade.

Harpoon IPA has three malts. One adds a toasted flavor and another a malty flavor. Along with the third malt, a 2-row pale,

I interpret that has munich, victory, and 2 -row. Victory is commonly used in most clones Ive seen. I wanted to use more munich and victory but the color was getting too dark.

I'm also thinking of using marris otter instead of plan 2 row? Thoughts?

This is what I have right now:

68% efficiency
10.5 lbs 2 row
1 lb munich
0.50 lb victory
0.50 oz Columbus (sub for Apollo) - 60 min
1 oz Cascade - 30 min
0.67 oz Cascade - - 10 min
1 oz Cascade - Dry Hop
WLP 007

1.061 OG, 7.3 SRM, 42 IBU, 5.9% abv.

What do you all think? I've never formulated an IPA. My biggest concern right now is the hopping schedule, too much or too little?

Looks pretty good. I'd recommend the following hop schedule:

0.5 - 1oz Columbus (I know you're trying to match the IBUs but 42 is on the low scale for an IPA)
1 oz Cascade @10
1 oz Cacasde @ flameout
1 oz Cascade - dry hop

Did this one many moons ago. It was pretty close clone back in the day:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) 88.14 %
1 lbs Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) 6.78 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) 3.39 %
4.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) 1.69 %
1.50 oz Northern Brewer [7.25 %] (90 min) 39.3 IBU
1.25 oz Cascade [5.30 %] (10 min) 4.8 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.30 %] (2 min) 4.8 IBU
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (DH 21 days)
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098)

Ill be using pellets, most likely.

I think there recipe must have changed. Because so many clones use EKG or Fuggles, but I know they only use Apollo and Cascade now, or that's what I was told at the brewery. I think I will up the IBUs a little bit. Just in case its not a perfect clone I still want it to be good.

So for a 6 gallon batch this is what I'm thinking of settling on:

12.5 lbs Marris Otter
1 lb Munich Malt
12 oz Victory Malt

1oz Cascade FWH
2/3 oz Columbus 60 min
1 oz Cascade 10 min
1 oz Cascade - Flame Out
1oz Cascade Dry Hop

47 IBUs
1.062 if I get 70% efficiency (I'm still new to my system so if I get higher efficiency I'm going to up the hops)

Too much victory and too many hops to be a harpoon clone. However, it was pretty good. If I were to brew it again, I probably would use half the amount of victory, and little to none MO. I probably had too many late hop additions.

Back