Valentine's day amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 @ 67 f
Tasting Notes
Truly the best amber ale I have ever had!
10 lbs 2 row
1.25 lbs English medium crystal (60ish SRM)
1 lb Vienna
0.5 lb Victory
2 Oz C 120
2 Oz Pale Chocolate
Mash @ 154 f

1 Oz Columbus 14.4% FWH
1 Oz Centennial 9.1% 10 mins
1 Oz Simcoe 12.2% 5 mins
1 Oz Cascade 0 mins

Dry hop with 1 oz cascade + 1 oz simcoe 10 days
1 oz Amarillo whole flowers in the keg

This is my perfect amber. It is quite a hoppy beer, over the style guidelines for sure but man it is really a fantastic beer. Give it 1.5-2 weeks in the keg after carbonation and it will blow your mind!

I first brewed this February 14. If you have searched, like I have, for a hoppy amber and been disappointed, this is the recipe you've been looking for.

Great looking grain bill. Tons of hops for a amber ale. I think it looks pretty solid! I would be very interested in brewing this. I love Hoppy Ales, amber, pale, or whatever color it is (i ain't prejudice!) Thanks for posting. FYI, i might change the name to "Amber, my ex-girlfriend who broke up with me on Valentines Day"...lol

Changed this a touch last 2 times I brewed it and it is better! I used all MO - 10.5 lbs, 1/2 the amount of Vienna & Victory (8 oz, 4 oz) the rest of the malt is the same. The hop schedule/amount is the same but with Chinook FWH, Chinook 10, Simcoe 5 and Cascade at flame out.

When I go pro this will be my pride & joy ale.

With the maris of course, hey not so sure I want to do the keg hop, what os my alternative for the amarillo?

Amarillo flowers in the keg is great, I have also done a tea infuser with pellet hops, and nothing. I prefer hops in the keg but it tastes pretty good without it, no substitutions. Also be aware that this beer ages very gracefully if you want to mellow the bitterness out a bit.

Cheers!

Back