hopstopper users...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much drop do you have on the hose leading out of your kettle? That makes a huge difference in flow or strength of the siphon. There's no way the mesh would stop the flow of water that I can think of other than the fact that you might not have enough drop on your output line.

Bobby_M said:
How much drop do you have on the hose leading out of your kettle? That makes a huge difference in flow or strength of the siphon. There's no way the mesh would stop the flow of water that I can think of other than the fact that you might not have enough drop on your output line.

I'd say 8-10" is there a minimum?

Todd,
Not that there's a minimum, but the longer the better. The more liquid that sits in the tubing below the level of liquid in the kettle, the more suction you get on your dip tube. [hehe, I said suction on your dip tube].

On a slightly more somber note, I found the limit of the hopstopper, DIY or otherwirse.

I had done three 5-gallon batches in my keggle using a mix of both pellet and leaf hops. I'd say the typical hop bill is something like 2oz pellets, 1oz leaf. I'd drain into my counterflow chiller and leave at most a cup of wort behind in the kettle.

On big brew day, I did my first 10gallon batch. The hop bill was 3oz pellet, 2oz leaf. The real difference is that I tried the immersion chiller this time so I added a ton of cold break to the filtering load of the hop filter. The runoff got stuck with about 6 gallons left to drain. UGHHHH. I wonder if using hop bags would have saved the day this time because maybe the filter can handle cold break but not cold break WITH 5 oz of hops.

I figured out my problem and it was a major DOH! moment. I had just put a Tee in with a site gauge. Well stupid me didn't think about the site tube. it was suckign air in there. I took it off and everything worked perfectly.

The hopstopper guys to say immersion chillers and a no no. I'm using a plate chiller, but we also use a hop bag setup just to be sure nothing gets in the chiller.

Todd

Bobby_M said:
Todd,
Not that there's a minimum, but the longer the better. The more liquid that sits in the tubing below the level of liquid in the kettle, the more suction you get on your dip tube. [hehe, I said suction on your dip tube].

On a slightly more somber note, I found the limit of the hopstopper, DIY or otherwirse.

I had done three 5-gallon batches in my keggle using a mix of both pellet and leaf hops. I'd say the typical hop bill is something like 2oz pellets, 1oz leaf. I'd drain into my counterflow chiller and leave at most a cup of wort behind in the kettle.

On big brew day, I did my first 10gallon batch. The hop bill was 3oz pellet, 2oz leaf. The real difference is that I tried the immersion chiller this time so I added a ton of cold break to the filtering load of the hop filter. The runoff got stuck with about 6 gallons left to drain. UGHHHH. I wonder if using hop bags would have saved the day this time because maybe the filter can handle cold break but not cold break WITH 5 oz of hops.

Bobby_M said:

I was having a similar problem with my setup, what I do now is put my immersion chiller into a bucket with a spigot, drain the keggle into the bucket via a hose while the chiller is on, by the time 5.5 gallons has drained, the wort is about 100*F, another couple mins it is down to 80, then I drain the bucket into a carboy. Yes, there is cold break in the carboy, but at least the hop stopper doesn't get clogged.

edit: realized I had mentioned my plan to do this earlier in this thread....obviously it worked...

Brewhead's technique has really worked well for me lately - after I figured out how to keep the damn bag on the PVC. ;) Here's a pic of it in the boil with ~ 14 gals of oatmeal stout!! When you pull it out, it leaves a huge wad of hop crap in there. The mesh is very fine so it does take a while to drain completely.

08hopsbag.jpg

I'm using Hop Bags from now on, in addition to any hopstopper. I figure that a good sized bag should do the trick and not lose any acids.

I think it's a great idea. I might adapt it so the ring (of some sort) is simply hung on the side of the keggle just to avoid all the serious hardware. I like to give my wort a stir now and then.

If I was to use nylon hop bags in the boil kettle would it be a good idea to use the hop stopper to stain out the hot break? I will be using a plate chiller so I am not concerned with the cold break.

Thanks

Brewhead's technique has really worked well for me lately - after I figured out how to keep the damn bag on the PVC. ;) Here's a pic of it in the boil with ~ 14 gals of oatmeal stout!! When you pull it out, it leaves a huge wad of hop crap in there. The mesh is very fine so it does take a while to drain completely.

08hopsbag.jpg

I've been using this method also and prefer it to hop bags actually.

As some of you know, I have had problems getting my Blichmann boil kettle to work for me on my system. I finally decided to give Dennis a at IHS a shout to make me a hopstopper for my Blichmann. I believe I have the prototype unit and I must say that my first experience with it was perfect. I felt that great freedom of tossing my hops right into the kettle again (3.5 oz. whole, 2 oz. pellet) , which I believe is the best way to get everything out your hops in late additions. I used the Therminator and pumped into a conical (yes, with the cold break) at 67F with garden hose chill water. I have to adapt my immersion chiller to work with it, but I feel pretty good about the whole thing right now. Hats off to a good vendor.

IMG_02091.jpg

I was having a similar problem with my setup, what I do now is put my immersion chiller into a bucket with a spigot, drain the keggle into the bucket via a hose while the chiller is on, by the time 5.5 gallons has drained, the wort is about 100*F, another couple mins it is down to 80, then I drain the bucket into a carboy. Yes, there is cold break in the carboy, but at least the hop stopper doesn't get clogged.

edit: realized I had mentioned my plan to do this earlier in this thread....obviously it worked...

I think you might have stumbled on something....awesome. This method assumes you don't care about cold break, but don't want hop sludge) WHAT IF....you boiled your IC for 20 mins like normal...then at the end of the boil you remove the IC and place it into your sanitized bucket fermenter. Whirlpool, then drain to the bucket fermenter with the IC turned on. You avoid almost all of the trub. Cold break compacts tightly with the yeast cake.

Another thing to think about for those who use an IC....I've thrown (moderate) hops right in, used my IC and chilled to pitching temps....then pulled the IC out. If you get a strong whirlpool going and leave it alone for 15-30 minutes (clean everything up except for the kettle and hoses), you can usually drain crystal clear wort.

As some of you know, I have had problems getting my Blichmann boil kettle to work for me on my system. I finally decided to give Dennis a at IHS a shout to make me a hopstopper for my Blichmann. I believe I have the prototype unit and I must say that my first experience with it was perfect. I felt that great freedom of tossing my hops right into the kettle again (3.5 oz. whole, 2 oz. pellet) , which I believe is the best way to get everything out your hops in late additions. I used the Therminator and pumped into a conical (yes, with the cold break) at 67F with garden hose chill water. I have to adapt my immersion chiller to work with it, but I feel pretty good about the whole thing right now. Hats off to a good vendor.

IMG_02091.jpg

Fast forward 4 months...

I'm surprised he's not yet selling them on his site. Is your prototype Blichmann hopstopper still working ok?

I can't see from your picture, but how exactly did he attach it? Was the existing Blichmann dip tube used? It's pretty short and doesn't come into the kettle very far so it can't really hold up the mesh very well.

I have a 20 gal Blichmann boil kettle and will be brewing electric. Problem is that my 5500W ripple element is so long that once installed directly across from the dip tube, it'll be about an inch from where the dip tube turn down. Just enough room to be able to pull out the dip tube when needed.

I'm not entirely sure how I'd fit a hopstopper into my setup if I go that route. I'd really like to be able to use pellet hops and (as you mention) the Blichmann screen just doesn't work nicely with pellet hops. I'd almost need 2 of them and use a "T" connector to go to either side of the element.

Any electric brewers using a hopstopper or homemade SS screen style filter?

Kal

Fast forward 4 months...

I can't see from your picture, but how exactly did he attach it? Was the existing Blichmann dip tube used?

No, a dip tube was fabricated that extends to the centerof the kettle.

I have a 20 gal Blichmann boil kettle and will be brewing electric. Problem is that my 5500W ripple element is so long that once installed directly across from the dip tube, it'll be about an inch from where the dip tube turn down. Just enough room to be able to pull out the dip tube when needed.

That won't work for this product.

I'm not entirely sure how I'd fit a hopstopper into my setup if I go that route. I'd really like to be able to use pellet hops and (as you mention) the Blichmann screen just doesn't work nicely with pellet hops. I'd almost need 2 of them and use a "T" connector to go to either side of the element.

I don't think this will work for you with an element running the way you mention. You are probably ging to have to use a hop bag setup. I have seen some screens that run the perimeter of the kettle. that my be something to look into.

Thanks for the input! I haven't actually installed the element yet in my kettle so I may still get a hopstopper and put the element above it. I emailed Dennis to get pricing/information on a hopstopper for my Blichmann pot.

Are you still using it? Still liking it?

Thanks!

Kal

Update for any other Blichmann owners reading this:

Dennis emailed me back already. Wow - fast. It's actually easier than I thought since I didn't know that the Blichmann dip-tube collar was removable! He said:

Basically, I provide the Hop Stopper as is, but without the connection fitting. The Blichmann dip tube will need to be removed along with the collar that is attached to it. The collar is installed onto the Hop Stopper dip tube which is the same size. The entire assembly is then slipped into the bulkhead fitting on the kettle. There was virtually no change to the Hop Stopper design.

What great service. Almost unheard of in this day and age. Going to double check a couple of things and then place my order with Dennis.

Kal

Update for any other Blichmann owners reading this:

Dennis emailed me back already. Wow - fast. It's actually easier than I thought since I didn't know that the Blichmann dip-tube collar was removable! He said:

What great service. Almost unheard of in this day and age. Going to double check a couple of things and then place my order with Dennis.

Kal

Yes, Dennis is very helpful. You don't really need to put the collar on the tube though. The seal is by o-ring in the fitting; the collar is so you don't push to far and line up properly. As long as you can close your ball valve, you are fine. Still, it's no big deal to put it on either. You will notice a groove on the Blichmann tube hwere the o-ring seats. I did not replicate this and have had no leaks.

So I take it you're still using your hopstopper with your Blichmann brew pot Larry? It sounds like it's the best all around solution and lets you use any type of hops you want and even chill in the BK if you want...

Kal

So I take it you're still using your hopstopper with your Blichmann brew pot Larry? It sounds like it's the best all around solution and lets you use any type of hops you want and even chill in the BK if you want...

Kal

Yes, I do use it and use whole hops or a combination. What chilling method do you use?

Back