What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got done with my weekend long brew. All I had to do tonight was boil and chill. Ended up taking three fukcing hours!! The oil went fine until it was time to chill. My hop filter clogged about four damn times. Then I ended up with a gallon less than what I was supposed to at 1.140. So I diluted to 5 gallons and ended up at 1.072. Too low. Whatever. I still have some dextrose to add, so I may hit my OG anyway. This brew day (weekend) sucked.

I just got done with my weekend long brew. All I had to do tonight was boil and chill. Ended up taking three fukcing hours!! The oil went fine until it was time to chill. My hop filter clogged about four damn times. Then I ended up with a gallon less than what I was supposed to at 1.140. So I diluted to 5 gallons and ended up at 1.072. Too low. Whatever. I still have some dextrose to add, so I may hit my OG anyway. This brew day (weekend) sucked.

Damn. Bummer bro

Swarley88 said:
Yeah no kidding. Didn't you have a mishap with your hops too earlier Ty?

Yeah. I lost them. If this brew turns out half as good as last time, I'll be happy.

Drinking more of my cider.

image-3624451108.jpg

Seriously. What a fantastic beer. Big Eddy's Russian Imperial Stout. This is by far the best Leinenkugel beer I've ever had. But at $14 a four pack I would hope so. This is a must have for anyone that likes stouts. I'm partial to my Dragons Milk (I live two minutes from New Holland Brewery.) but this beer is ranking #1 for stouts. Until I try my very own Chocolate Milk Stout that is.

Seriously. What a fantastic beer. Big Eddy's Russian Imperial Stout. This is by far the best Leinenkugel beer I've ever had. But at $14 a four pack I would hope so. This is a must have for anyone that likes stouts. I'm partial to my Dragons Milk (I live two minutes from New Holland Brewery.) but this beer is ranking #1 for stouts. Until I try my very own Chocolate Milk Stout that is.

Havent had that one but been way less than impressed with that "brewery"

View attachment 147195

Havent had that one but been way less than impressed with that "brewery"

+1. Never had anything from them that's anything more than "meh", usually not even that far. Although if it's really that good, I might have to give it a shot.

Was at the bottle shop yesterday, and they were pouring samples of Leinenkugel Oktoberfest, and my wife the non-beer-drinker thought it was better than I did. (Ended up grabbing a bottle of Weyerbacher Riserva 2012 that I'll treat myself to tomorrow night for my 6 month smoke free reward).

Pouring myself one of my Milds, and then it's off to bed.

Qhrumphf said:
+1. Never had anything from them that's anything more than "meh", usually not even that far. Although if it's really that good, I might have to give it a shot.

Was at the bottle shop yesterday, and they were pouring samples of Leinenkugel Oktoberfest, and my wife the non-beer-drinker thought it was better than I did. (Ended up grabbing a bottle of Weyerbacher Riserva 2012 that I'll treat myself to tomorrow night for my 6 month smoke free reward).

Pouring myself one of my Milds, and then it's off to bed.

For the record, I'm not here to defend Leinenkugels. They make cheap beer. This isn't labeled as Leinenkugels. Like the brand or not, if you can at least find it in a single bottle, it's worth the few bucks to try it.

Channel66 said:
Coffee, I'm supposed to be working but windows 8/samsung decided now is a good time for bios updates.

Windows 8-hell, windows in general can suck my left nut.

On the coff as well. Found out my two month stint in OK begins Saturday evening and the five of us will be sharing an apartment. At least we're flying out and not driving.

On the coff as well. Found out my two month stint in OK begins Saturday evening and the five of us will be sharing an apartment. At least we're flying out and not driving.

No choice here. It's Windows or bust if I expect work to buy the computer. They keep me in a brand new ultra book so I'm not going to complain too much. But Windows 8 is a serious step backwards.

tyzippers said:

Windows 8 sucks so bad! I'd rather have XP back. Hell, I'd take 3.1 over 8. My most recent laptop has 8 installed on it. Worst OS ever!

At least your stoutbomination will get two months in primary to continue living up to it's name.

Windows 8 sucks so bad! I'd rather have XP back. Hell, I'd take 3.1 over 8. My most recent laptop has 8 installed on it. Worst OS ever!

It's not Windows' fault. You sux at the internets! :off: :D

Having a glass of water before I go smack some trees out back.

Gabe did you get my PM?

I did. Was just getting ready to send you one back. I was in a pretty thick fog yesterday and didn't want to try and put anything more coherent the FF trash talking together.

I generally avoid the domestic craft beers and pseudo craft beers, but I decided to buy Hale to Nothing, brewed by Brutal Brewing (owned by Spendrups). 4.5% ABV, nice colour. Very clean, in fact it's so damn clean you can only taste the hops. Nothing else, which could've been a good thing but they didn't manage to pull it off. The American and English hops in this beer do not blend very well.

Sort of tastes like a pilsner, even though it's supposed to be an English Pale Ale.

Zz2zq0l.jpg

I did. Was just getting ready to send you one back. I was in a pretty thick fog yesterday and didn't want to try and put anything more coherent the FF trash talking together.

Haha I hear ya, I had a pretty banging headache this morning myself. I never remember to hydrate after a few quads.

can you take a picture of your plate for me? I wanna see!

At least your stoutbomination will get two months in primary to continue living up to it's name.

True dat! I pitched three packs of S-33 last night and this morning it was going crazy!

I was lucky when I got my new work computer. They let me piece it together myself because I need a beast to run the SolidWorks Computational Flow Dynamics software. I was able to get Windoze 7 for it. My laptop too...though instead of getting me a real computer, they got me an Acer. It sukz. I hear Windoze 8 is like an overgrown phone on steroids.:drunk:

True dat! I pitched three packs of S-33 last night and this morning it was going crazy!

I was lucky when I got my new work computer. They let me piece it together myself because I need a beast to run the SolidWorks Computational Flow Dynamics software. I was able to get Windoze 7 for it. My laptop too...though instead of getting me a real computer, they got me an Acer. It sukz. I hear Windoze 8 is like an overgrown phone on steroids.:drunk:

More like an overgrown phone on LSD. My phone is much more organized.

Hey zippy you whale is going out this week fo shizzle my bizzle! So you might want to reinforce your porch :p

Channel66 said:
Haha I hear ya, I had a pretty banging headache this morning myself. I never remember to hydrate after a few quads.

can you take a picture of your plate for me? I wanna see!

I wasn't hungover. I had a good buzz once and was approaching drunk once during my marathon, but I also drank close to a gallon of water. I was just fuzzy from the disruption of my sleep schedule. Can't believe I was only sleeping an hour or two every Friday for half the year last year. Not healthy.

image-4113686087.jpg

There's a little condensation on the lid from its trip here, or more likely showing up on Saturday when no one was here to get it out of the mailbox.

I wasn't hungover. I had a good buzz once and was approaching drunk once during my marathon, but I also drank close to a gallon of water. I was just fuzzy from the disruption of my sleep schedule. Can't believe I was only sleeping an hour or two every Friday for half the year last year. Not healthy.

View attachment 147223

There's a little condensation on the lid from its trip here, or more likely showing up on Saturday when no one was here to get it out of the mailbox.

Thats good stuff! snag some of the tiny round colonies, let the big ones hang out.

Hey zippy you whale is going out this week fo shizzle my bizzle! So you might want to reinforce your porch :p

Sweet!! I'm all about letting my porch get destroyed! Means maintenance will finally have to replace the broken, patched over piece of crap it is!! :-D

I will try my hardest to get yours out before I leave. Our bank account is approaching 0 quickly. I get paid Friday, so maybe I could do it then.

Thats good stuff! snag some of the tiny round colonies, let the big ones hang out.

The tiny round ones? Like in the 3 o'clock area? Why not the big ones? Just looking to learn more. I'm hoping to get a little home lab set up at some point. Seems a shame not to save some of the tasty bugs & critters I get to try. Pitching dregs into a carboy is fine, but I'd rather have the control of being able to use individual microbes when I want.

The tiny round ones? Like in the 3 o'clock area? Why not the big ones? Just looking to learn more. I'm hoping to get a little home lab set up at some point. Seems a shame not to save some of the tasty bugs & critters I get to try. Pitching dregs into a carboy is fine, but I'd rather have the control of being able to use individual microbes when I want.

You want the smaller ones because you know they are from a single cell simply put. They havent grown any bigger because they havent been given any extra. the larger colonies could very well be that large because it is 2-1billion cells that happened to take to the same spot. But they could also be that large because they have been contaminated by something from outside.

By taking the small colonies you are guaranteeing that they are from a single cell. which means they likely built themselves up separate from what the plate was inoculated with.

When you inoculate a plate you don't cover the entire surface area of the plate with the medium, you just wipe the medium over the plate and let them build themselves up. So what you directly inoculated will take off like a rocket. But you may have inoculated with more than what you intended. While these cells will be greatly outnumbered and their chance of reproducing is going to be next to naught. you still dont want to culture them on accident. So picking your new colonies is a good plan because they will 99.99999% of the time be what you intended to inoculate.

EDIT: Also if you intend to set up a home lab in the near future a good place to start would be by picking up a decent inoculation loop that you can reuse. It doesnt have to be a platinum tipped one but you will have a much easier time with one versus a paperclip or scraper.

Back