washer between regulator and CO2 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just refilled my 10lb tank for the first time since owning it. I get it back home, take the blue plastic cap off the fitting that the regulator connects to, and a washer falls off. I'm 90% sure there was no washer on there before, unless it was pressed on to tight that it was stuck there. Does this washer need to be in place, between the regulator and the tank? Right now, I have just left it off, and I don't appear to be losing pressure, but I'm not sure.

As always, thank you all for your help.

Yes, there should be a washer between the regulator and tank. Are you sure the old one wasn't stuck on the regulator still?

It could of been stuck on the regulator, to be honest, I was on my second or third glass of home brew that night... :)

I'll put the washer back. Hopefully I'm not leaking too much CO2... I won't be home for another 9 hours...

do people use teflon tape (or whatever that white tape is called) when attaching a regulator to the co2 tank?

If you don't use the washer, there's a good chance you'll come home to an empty tank. I seem to have a problem with those little buggers. It seems like every time I tank the reg off the tank, the washer falls out, hits the ground, and becomes invisible.

I buy them 5 or 10 at a time now from General Air when I go there to refill gas.

Just go to the hardware store and get a flat nylon washer that fits your regulatir. When you tighten the nut the face of the regulator pipe smashes the nylon into the face of the tank valve, and won't leak.
Works for me anyway, and they cost $0.20 :rockin:

Some regulators have built in quad o rings, if that's the case you don't need a washer. Otherwise you do need one or you will lose 10lbs CO2.

Some regulators have built in quad o rings, if that's the case you don't need a washer. Otherwise you do need one or you will lose 10lbs CO2.

That's what mine had - Until I tried to remove the tube on the regulator and mucked up the groove with a socket - It spit the o-ring out and I couldn't get another one back in - So now it's a $0.20 washer FTW :D

My regulator has a black oright embedded in the mating face. i just take the fiber washer and throw it out. check the mating face before you use a washer.

See, my regulator had a black oring too.... if I go home and the gauge doesn't show that I've lost any gas, should I leave it alone?

The gauge won't show anything until all of the liquid CO2 is gone. Don't count on the high pressure gauge for anything.

Maybe that's what it was... they gave me a washer and put the blue cap on. But do I need it since I have a black O-ring pressed into the gauge?

Damn I wish I had found this thread sooner. I just went through 2, 5 gallon tanks of C02. I went to Morebeer yesterday to get another + a couple of washers.........Lessons Learned

Back