Jamil's Evil Twin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildGingerBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I plan on brewing this this weekend. Has anyone else brewed the extract version of this? I would love any words of wisdom if you have them. From what I've read on different site, this should be a great beer.

J :mug:

Sorry, haven't done the extract but I did the all grain version. Its a great Amber, one of the more popular recipes I've done so far.

One thing I would do is maybe dry hop it a little or hit it with a little extra on that 0min hop addition. Mine had great hop aroma and flavor for about 2 weeks then started to die out.

+1. I've made this beer or variations probably 15 times, all grain. This one is great early but fades quickly. I also hit mine with more hops to up the love. My favorite schedule is as follows. I like more assertive hopping, this one can take a lot without becoming over hopped.

60- 1oz Columbus
10- 1.0 oz Cascade
10-1.0 oz Centennial
0- 2.0oz Centennial

I also use a tad less crystal than what is recommended. Good luck.

To agree, I have done the all grain version and it's great. It's one of the only batches I can say I will brew again very soon. Mine has a nice aroma, but as sedge said, it could use a little more. Up the 0 minute addition or do some dry hopping.

What would you suggest dry hopping with, the Centennial or the Amarillo? Or maybe 1 oz of each?? This will be my first time using either of these hops, but I'm a hop head, so bring it on.

What would you suggest dry hopping with, the Centennial or the Amarillo? Or maybe 1 oz of each?? This will be my first time using either of these hops, but I'm a hop head, so bring it on.

I would just use Cascade and Centennial. Do a mix of them between .75-1oz of each if you think you need more hop aroma. I have done this one a few times just as the recipe says and I have always liked it as is. Why not brew it up as Jamil created it and then decide how you want to tweak it for the next batch?

I would just use Cascade and Centennial. Do a mix of them between .75-1oz of each if you think you need more hop aroma. I have done this one a few times just as the recipe says and I have always liked it as is. Why not brew it up as Jamil created it and then decide how you want to tweak it for the next batch?

That's probably the best option. The recipe I have for it doesn't call for Cascade though it calls for Amarillo. Actually here is the schedule:

.5 oz Amarillo @ 20
.5 oz Centennial @ 20
1 oz Amarillo @ 10
1 oz Centennial @ 10
1 oz Amarillo @ 0
1 oz Centennial @ 0

It doesn't call for a 60 min hop at all, which I found strange, but I've heard so much about this beer I figured it was alright. Does anyone else have a different hop schedule for this beer? Did I get a bad recipe?

Thanks for all of the help. I am really looking forward to this one.

That's probably the best option. The recipe I have for it doesn't call for Cascade though it calls for Amarillo. Actually here is the schedule:

.5 oz Amarillo @ 20
.5 oz Centennial @ 20
1 oz Amarillo @ 10
1 oz Centennial @ 10
1 oz Amarillo @ 0
1 oz Centennial @ 0

It doesn't call for a 60 min hop at all, which I found strange, but I've heard so much about this beer I figured it was alright. Does anyone else have a different hop schedule for this beer? Did I get a bad recipe?

Thanks for all of the help. I am really looking forward to
this one.

Sorry .. I looked up and saw Cascade in this thread and that is why I mentioned it. You did not get a bad recipe. Evil Twin is designed to show off late hopping. You can read the entire article that was in Zymurgy here http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.htm

It is based on a beer that was brewed by Alesmith. It is a very good recipe.

Amarillo and Centennial will be right to maintain the balance of the flavors already in the beer. You can tweak it so its skewed towards one or the other if you have a favorite, but an ounce of each is going to put you into IPA grassland. I'd stick to 1 oz of the mixture at the tail end of fermentation (day 6 or so) at fermentation temps. Leave it for a week to ten days (you can flush with co2 if you're paranoid about oxidation, but the remainder of fermentation should provide a nice blanket and positive pressure) then crash it if you're able to. This is my dry hop method, then I use gelatin when transferring to the keg to really get it clear. If you're bottling then you can use gelatin right in primary/secondary or skip it.

Back