Double Dry Hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartman

Reaction score
I am looking to get a real big hop aroma
How about dry hop for 1 week in my primary and then rack to the secondary and dry hop again for another week. This way I get twice as much hop aroma and no grassy taste????

I don't think racking from the primary after dry hopping won't prevent grassiness. The grassiness you describe comes from over dry-hopping.

I'd dry hop it however many times you want in whatever vessel you normally dry hop. You certanily won't hurt it doing what you are describing.

Search for Pliny the Bastid. PtE is one of the highest rated IIPAs in the world and Vinnie uses 3 separate dry hoppings in it, so clearly that method can't be too bad.

I just did an amber (based on hop head red's grain bill) with a triple dry hopped pliny inspired schedule. It was a ten gallon batch in a thirteen gallon fermenter. I used no secondary. After three weeks of sitting in primary I started dry hopping. Added 4 ounces of cascade, a week later added 2 ounces of centennial, and for the last week (week six) i added 2 ounces of amarillo. It is one of my tastiest so far. I think you really have to mess it up to get grassy flavors. as far as i'm concerned that is a myth

Wow, I thought I liked hops until I read this post. :p I use an ounce of Amarillo to dry hop my IPA.

What's the logic behind dry hopping twice? Why not just add all the dry hops at once?

And when you refer to double dry-hopping, do you mean 1) dry hopping in one fermenter, racking off the hops into another fermenter, and then adding more dry hops, OR 2) adding dry hops, and then a little later, adding more dry hops to the same fermenter?

Theoretically, the second you rack a beer off your dry hops, it immediately begins declining in hop aroma, so either way it seems like if you want the most hop flavor possible, add all the dry hops at the same time, let sit for X time, bottle/keg, and drink as soon as possible.

What's the logic behind dry hopping twice? Why not just add all the dry hops at once?

And when you refer to double dry-hopping, do you mean 1) dry hopping in one fermenter, racking off the hops into another fermenter, and then adding more dry hops, OR 2) adding dry hops, and then a little later, adding more dry hops to the same fermenter?

Theoretically, the second you rack a beer off your dry hops, it immediately begins declining in hop aroma, so either way it seems like if you want the most hop flavor possible, add all the dry hops at the same time, let sit for X time, bottle/keg, and drink as soon as possible.

Yes, my original thinking was to dry hop for a week and then rack to my secondary and dry hop again. I have read here that if you leave the hops in too long it can get a grassy flavor. So I thought if I did it twice and only left the hops in there for a week at a time it would work better.
I have some leaf cascades I bought from a local farm and though this would be a good thing to do with them.

Not a problem. I've dry hopped three times, although I used different hops to broaden the aroma.

+1 it would be kind of pointless to make three additions of (insert favorite hop). If I'm going with multiple dry hop rounds, i go with complemantary hops.

When Double Dry Hopping I find best way is to let your palate tell you when its ready. For a example 1. Surly Furious, after fermentation it was good, 1st dry hop it was not as good, 2ed dry hop it was super good. example 2 Stone IPA, after fermentation it was good, 1st dry hop it was super good, 2ed dry hop it was not even as good as when 1st fermented. And I have found useing a Brew Infuser helps when trying to dry hop twice in a 5 gal carboy. So next time you try and double or triple dry hop, stop and flaver your beer as it goes and let your palate tell you if you need to hop more.

Back