• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wtb Keggles Or Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called up the local chain/discount liquor/beer store here in Houston. After transferring to the beer department, I asked them if I could buy/pay deposit for a keg and if they cared if I ever returned it ... Their answer was yes you can pay just deposit price for an empty keg, and no we don't care if you return it.
I paid $45 deposit which is probably upper end of street value, but of course it's the deposit prices that drive street value at least in the homebrew circles (maybe not for scrap).

As far as I'm concerned, that takes away any guilt that you read about for keg deposit cases. On the other hand, the keg does say "Property of BIG BEER COMPANY*" (name cut off with keggle conversion ... so I don't know whose it was ;-)

-BigCask

Just to share a similar story: I went to several shops in my city and asked a similar question and received a similar response from one shop (that they wouldn't mind if I paid the keg deposit and didn't return the keg). That store later found out from their distributor that they were wrong to do so. The distributors charge the 30 (or 45 in your case) deposit because that's what the market will bear as a deposit and because most people do return the keg. If everyone didn't the deposit charge would go up considerably, somewhere close to the actual value of the kegs and hence the investment that the breweries/distributors have made for them. Obviously do what you want and I'm not at all trying to rain on your parade--just explaining what I've learned about it by asking distributors and liquor stores.

Back