what thickness is side-wall and bottom of sankey keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superG

Reaction score
what thickness is side-wall and bottom of sankey keg?
Cannot find this information anywhere - I have a european style 'plus keg' with 1mm - 0.03937 inch = 39/1000 - thickness - this seems mighty thin for a boil kettle.
I also have a standard US style sankey keg - not yet converted, but I wanted to know what is the thickness of the sidewalls and the bottom. I've googled the web, but can't find the direct information.

Does anyone know these dimensions I am seeking? If so , please reply.

I'm going to convert the US standard sankey keg anyway, but want to compare steel thickness with that of the Euro keg - if the sankey keg sidewall and/or bottom is much the same as the 'plus keg' then I'll also convert the other kegs I have.

thanx in advance

oh - here's a link to the information page for the 'plus kegs'
http://www.schaeferkegs.com/PDF-files/Large PLUS keg.pdf
they are covered in a polyurethane rubber to protect them, which is why the steel is so thin, i think - 1mm is not a hell of a whole lot! that works out to 39/1000 of an inch!
I'm going to remove the PU plastic no matter what - if nothing else I can use the 'plus keg' as a HLT or insulate it for a mash tun, or just scrap it for the stainless steel value if it has no value as a homebrew vessel.

I'm going to remove the PU plastic no matter what - if nothing else I can use the 'plus keg' as a HLT or insulate it for a mash tun, or just scrap it for the stainless steel value if it has no value as a homebrew vessel.

You could also use it as a fermentor.

IIRC, US Sankes are 14 gage (0.0747) and 18 gage (0.0478) according to the Machinery's Handbook. 18 being the keg, and 14 being the skirt material (everything you see above and below the welds on the keg. 18 gauge is plenty thick, and if you are worried about sturdiness you can always leave a little of the top of the keg like most of us do. It adds stability and handles to the boil kettle. Handles are nice :).

IIRC, US Sankes are 14 gage (0.0747) and 18 gage (0.0478) according to the Machinery's Handbook. 18 being the keg, and 14 being the skirt material (everything you see above and below the welds on the keg. 18 gauge is plenty thick, and if you are worried about sturdiness you can always leave a little of the top of the keg like most of us do. It adds stability and handles to the boil kettle. Handles are nice :).
Correction: 15.5 gallon US Sanke are 18 gauge (.050in)(1.27mm) 304 stainless keg and 16 gauge (.0625in)(1.59mm) 304 stainless skirts. I have some sixtels that say 18/18 on them.

Last edited:
Back