Is this stuff safe to use? Steriliser M from safechem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz

Reaction score
I make specs for a living and in the machine I use, I mix a sterilising chemical with the water so the pipes don't clog with dirt and grime. The chemical I use is called Steriliser M from a company called Safechem.

Here's a link to the info: https://www.safechemdirect.co.uk/in...ance/Cabins-&-accommodation/STERILISER-M.html

Is that a safe alternative to starsan (and all the other stuff you pro's use to clean your tools) to clean my tub between bottling and refilling? It smells a bit bleachy (reminds me of the swimming baths!) but never causes any irritation to my skin, although it's always very diluted.

I'm only asking because I could get it free from work. Is it safe?

image-1326657013.jpg

I know nothing about it, and the info page does not seem to include the ingredients.

However judging from this line in the description
"The only effective way to protect is sterilise. Sterilisation is the only way to kill the micro organisms found in containers, fresh water pipe work, tanks, utensils etc. used for food preparation or drinking water."
I would be inclined to believe that it is probably safe.

Smells "bleachy" would indicate presence of chlorine which is BAD for brewing. You would either need to rinse completely, or just use Star San. I would just go with Star San in this case.

BTW, you don't [normally] need to sterilize, just sanitize post boil hardware.

Is that a safe alternative to starsan (and all the other stuff you pro's use to clean your tools) to clean my tub between bottling and refilling? It smells a bit bleachy (reminds me of the swimming baths!) but never causes any irritation to my skin, although it's always very diluted.

If it smells like chlorine, I'd skip it. As Golddiggie pointed out.

Starsan is one of the cheapest things in the hobby. Buy a quart and it'll last you a long, long time if you use a spray bottle and mix up occasional 2.5-5 gallon batches. It's kind of a silly think to skimp on, if you ask me.

I'll also add that a sanitizer is not a cleaner. If you're looking for something to clean your tub, I'd use PBW or just Oxiclean if you have soft water. Rinse really well, then right before you use the tub, give it a quick dunk or spray in the Star San.

Probably better to avoid then. :(

Thanks

As mentioned, a little Star San can go a long way. With using 1oz in 5 gallons of water, a pint will make 80 gallons of solution. Used wisely, and with a lot of the methods already pointed out (earlier and in other threads) you could easily go a year (or more) between bottles of the concentrate. I typically mix up about 2.5 gallons in a graduated, covered, bucket. I also have a spray bottle of it on hand at all times. The combination means I can easily go a month (or more) before the solution in the bucket would need to be changed, and the spray bottle lasts as long (if not longer). I'm doing a test with filtered water currently. After about a month from mixing, it's still very clear. Previously, with tap water, it would have become cloudy. You can also use PH test strips to determine if it's still effective. As long as the PH is below 3.0 (I believe) it will be an effective sanitizer.

If you ever need to sterilize something, you can either bleach bomb it, or boil the items (provided they can handle it). Some people even use a pressure cooker to get to a higher boil temperature (up to about 250F I believe). Personally, if I need to do that, I'm more apt to just replace the items. I can boil my fermenters (stainless steel) under pressure IF I ever need to. Almost everything else is easy to replace, or cheap enough. There are a couple of items I'd probably try to salvage, due to them being custom made.

I've got a 5-gallon bucket of Star-San that I mixed up a good 6 months ago.

I use RO water, and it's still crystal clear with a pH of 2.1. I fill spray bottles and occasionally top up with a bit of fresh solution.

Properly mixed and cared for, a bottle of Star-San lasts forever. Well almost. At this rate, my bottle might only last 10 years as I keep topping up.

I've got a 5-gallon bucket of Star-San that I mixed up a good 6 months ago.

I use RO water, and it's still crystal clear with a pH of 2.1. I fill spray bottles and occasionally top up with a bit of fresh solution.

Properly mixed and cared for, a bottle of Star-San lasts forever. Well almost. At this rate, my bottle might only last 10 years as I keep topping up.

Good examples... Not sure how long it would take me to go through 5 gallons at a time. The very most I'll mix up these days is 3.75 gallons. That's when I'm getting ready to bottle a mead/wine though so that I can sanitize the bottles. Otherwise, I don't need that much mixed up. I used my latest bottle of concentrate for the first time with the current batch of Star San. Going to be interesting to see how long it is before I need to buy more. I'll probably order/buy more when I have about an ounce left in the bottle. :rockin:

Back