Old & Nasty Grolsch Swing Tops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKing

Reaction score
Received a big box of brown Grolsch swing tops this weekend that have been stored for who knows how long. Old style with the real ceramic tops.
Most are absolutely filthy on the inside with what looks to be caked on sediment, mold/growth, and insect matter.

What's the best way to get these usable again?

Can these be placed into boiling water?
Thought about starting off with putting them in the boiling water, then maybe soaking in a tub of water with oxiclean or something similar.

Cold bottle hits boiling water can cause breaking. Hot water with oxyclean should work. I'd do it once, rinse, then do it all over again. Then follow with a bottle brush and do some finish cleaning.

I got some that my cousin brought back from Germany 30 years ago...

They were stored for 20 in the attick of the garage and had everything in them, mold, "butts", and other gunk.

I got a gallon of bleach and filled each one of them half way, closed the top, and shook the hell out of them.

I then poured it out through a plastic "strainer" and then repeated with the next batch (10 cases).

It cut everything out, I then rinsed them, and as suggested above OxyCleaned them.

Wear gloves and old clothes, wash up when done....

won't bleach corrode the metal if you soak the whole bottle for long periods? oxyclean won't anyways. i'd get them big ugly dishwasher gloves first. here you can buy the whole cage and top assembly new, but it's with crappy plastic lids. dunno if you can just get the metal and bend it onto your old caps. new seals are a must and should be easy to get

^ Good feedback so far.
Wasn't sure about boiling water, but agree it could compromise the glass.
Rubber seals were all dried out so they've already been removed, and I can get replacements at a shop down the road.

Bleach 1st then oxiclean / one step sounds like a good start.

The cages and ceramic tops are all in nice condition, it's all the creepy stuff inside the bottom of the bottles that needs cleaned out.

Wow...nice score!!! I'd love to get my hands on some of the old BROWN Grolsch bottles. You can buy replacement gaskets and metal flip tops if needed...the bottles are the score.

I would suggest getting a

jet-bottle-washer.jpg

Jet bottle and carboy rinser to connect to your faucet. You may need an adapter to mate to the threads on your particular faucet.

Rinse out the bottles with the Jet. Soak them in PBW, not Oxiclean, for a couple of days and then rinse again. Oxiclean does leave quite a residue behind. PBW rinses cleaner.

When you go to fill, use StarSan or Saniclean to sanitize the bottles.

PBW and Oxyclean are the same active ingredient. The primary difference is that Oxyclean is cut with an inactive ingredient. The cost difference is significant. I use Oxyclean, yes it does leave a slight white film of soda ash if I use too much or soak for more than 24 hours.....but 1 cup of white vinegar in a few gallons of warm water before rinsing takes care of the film.....and the total cost is still 50% of PBW! The added benefit: the vinegar rinse neutralizes the Oxyclean residue on the surface....and keeps my Starsan from being diluted.

If you use pbw.....YOU WON'T GET THE WHITE FILM.....but rinse well before using starsan or any other acidic santizer.

I've soaked many a bottle in nothing more than good ole RO water to remove the toughest stuck on junk. Works every time.

resurrected thread.....nice!

Bottles all ended up nice and clean, in fact I used them last night for the first time.

Back