Nitro beer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airdale220

Reaction score
Alright so i got this free co2 cylinder and talked the guy at the welding shop into exchanging it for a nitrogen tank(filled with beer gas). first off I assumed I was going to need a nitrogen regulator but then i found this co2 to nitrogen adapter. I have an extra co2 regulator and was wondering if anyone has done this.

CO2 to Nitrogen Regulator Adapter :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Also, so do i first carbonate with co2 then serve with beer gas? Or use a diffusion stone and carbonate just with beer gas? im finding conflicting opinions and would like to know what some of you guys do.

And one last thing, has anyone used just straight no2 before and not the blend. I just noticed how much cheaper it is for straight no2.

thanks

Try this for an alternate source for that adapter:

CO2 Regulator to Nitrogen Tank Adapter

They work fine!

Most people force carb with CO2 and then switch to beer gas for dispensing.

You can go the carbonation stone way, but more hassle I think.

Straight NO2? If you use nitrogen dioxide for anything, you won't like it!

I assume you meant N2. I have read that it will only work for beers carbonated to less than 1 volume of CO2.

+1 Carb with CO2, then serve with beer gas- I'd stick with the beer gas, not the nitro, because you still need to keep it carbed. If you dispense on just nitro, it will loose carbonation. Nitrogen doesn't really dissolve well; this means when you serve on beer gas, you will probably need to up (maybe double) the PSI for proper serving. Hope this helps

Back