Few Beginner question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
I made a Strong English Stout last week, and it bubbled over like crazy. I was only using 3 gal kettle, and had over 8 lbs. of extract and brown sugar. The minute i added it all, it started bubbling over, there was nothing I could do. I simply let it cool a bit, tood some of the wort out, then started the boil. I lost about 1/4 of original wort, but it is fermenting in primary and bubbling about every 2 seconds.

Should I have used a 5 gal kettle, or did my recipe just have to much in it?

Did you turn off the heat when you added the extract? From what you explained, sounds like you didn't. That is a must to ensure you do not scorch the extract when it hits the bottom of the pan.

I'd also consider implimenting the late extract addition method. Essentially, you only add about a pound or so of the extract at the begining of the boil and add the remainder around the 45 minute mark (again, turn off that heat when doing so). Some argue you can bring it back to a boild after adding the remaining extract, but you can also let it sit for another 15 minutes off the heat and call it good.

I've never done a full boil, but I hear if you can (have the resources, etc) than that is the way to go. I only use 3 gal of water, at most, when brewing extract kits and I've had great success.

I steeped in oven, then brought put on burner and added all at once. I used 2 gallons of water. Next time, I will try your method, adding a little bit at a time before I buy a 5 gal kettle.

My recommendation would be to buy the 5 gallon kettle. Over time as you want to try different things you will be glad you did. In the meantime, you should be able to boil 2 gallons in a 3 gallon kettle. My recommendation would be to steep in the kettle on the burner and not in the oven. Once your steep is done, add the rest of your boil water and bring to boil. Then remove from the heat, add your extract, and return to boil.

As for the late extract method, I only use this when I am trying to make a beer that is light in color or when I am making a really big beer (over 1.080). Otherwise, I add all my extract up front.

Latest posts

Back