English Porter Dogtown Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxlinsky

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Style: Porter
Type: All-Grain
Size: 5.5 Gallons
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.016

Ingredients:
7 lb. Maris Otter
1.5 lb. Chocolate Malt
.75 oz. Brown
.75 oz. Carapils
.75 oz. Crystal 40
.75 oz. Flaked Oats
.5 oz. Black Patent
.5 oz. Crystal 120

Hops:
1 oz. Nugget - 12% @ 60 mins
1 oz. Fuggles - 4.5% @ 3 mins

Yeast:
White Labs Burton Ale Yeast (WLP023) - no starter

Mash grains in 15.5 qt. water at mash-in temperature of 162º and water should stabilize around 147º. Fly-sparge with 5+ gallons to get to pre-mash gravity of 1.055. Sparging took me about 1.5 hours and took more water than I originally expected (higher efficiency!).

Primary took a while (3 weeks) on this, and I'm guessing my basement was too cold. Krausen still very much present after 7 days. I would try to ferment this at 70º or above. Bottled after 3 weeks with no secondary.

After two months in bottles, this porter really evens out. The Black Patent is very prominent after four-ish weeks (to the point where you wonder if it was too much), but really gels well with the chocolate after the six week period. Head retention also seemed to build for me over time.

This turned out to have a lot thicker mouthfeel (should have expected it with the amount of oats and carapils) and be a lot darker than I was expecting for a "porter" but I think it's a great beer. It definitely blurs the line a bit between porter and stout.

If I could change anything going forward, I would consider making it a bit less rich. I think this could be accomplished by any number of things. I'd consider bumping the Black Patent back to .25 lb., the oats back to .25-.5 lb, and the Maris back to 6 lbs. I'm also not sure how useful the Crystal 40 is with so much Black and Chocolate present.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with how this one turned out. One of my top 3 favorite brews so far.

I'd be thrilled to hear anyone else's experiences with, or thoughts on, this recipe.

Cheers!

Hey, I only have a few brews under my belt. Is the 162 mash in temp the strike temp or is that the temp you hold the grains at? what temp of water did you fly sparge at? And do you have a water profile for this? It sounds delicious and I would love to try my hand at it.
Thankyou and happy brewing.

Back