drunken crow brown ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpl-america

Reaction score
I don't know if this is technically a brown ale since it is technically black, but as it is my recipe it is brown.

Maris otter pale malt. 7 lb. 10 oz
Caramalt 1 lb 8 oz
Chocolate malt. 8 oz

1 oz. Liberty hops. 60 min
1 oz. Columbus hops. 30 min
1 oz. Goldings. 15 min

120 degree protein rest for twenty minutes during mash.
153 degrees for 1 hour mash.

Wlp 001 in 1 liter starter.

It turned out great. 1.061 finished at 1.012
Tastes delicious, creamy head.

Sounds interesting, thanks for sharing it!

I've move this thread from the recipe database, which is for tried and true recipes that you have made, tweaked, rebrewed, etc. Tasting notes are required for recipes in the database. I've put this in the Recipes/Ingredients forum, where more members will see it and might respond.

After you've perfected the recipe, rebrewed it, and its one of your 'go to' brews, please put together some tasting notes for it and put it back in the database.

I'm a extremely new to all grain, but love browns. This looks like it will be my first attempt. Can you explain what those two different mashing steps mean? Thanks!

In america, most malts are fully modified, therefore a protein rest is not necessary, and may leave your beer feeling thin (120 degrees f) however here in England not all malts are fully modified, like the ones that ship from germany. So i have done a protein rest, which also helps to prevent chill haze according to Papazian. So my suggestion is to just do the higher mash at 150 to 153. You can mash for up to 90 minutes if you like, but do at least an hour.

Also in darker ales chill haze isn't really a factor. this ale turned out almost black. i really like the flavor, it is comparable to local ales in the pubs around here.

i think that next time i brew this one i will wait until about thirty minutes in to add the chocolate malt. As it stands currently it does have a roasted chocolate flavor that my neighbor seems to enjoy thoroughly.

good luck on your brew, this is a fairly simple one, and delicious.

will you be kegging?

Definitely. I found out very quickly that bottling was not my friend. I went to Montreal Orr the summer and fell in love with brown ales. They are just what I choose to drink now.

Definitely. I found out very quickly that bottling was not my friend. I went to Montreal Orr the summer and fell in love with brown ales. They are just what I choose to drink now.

I set my regulator to 10 psi for a week before drinking ... and the head was perfect.

Brown ales are my favorite as well. I think i will keep this one on tap. Experiment with different hops, Columbus stands out the most in this brew, and is the one i will keep for sure.

I have a Beer gun on my wish list to make bottling more fun.

somewhat of a sloppy pour. Don't mind the ranch dressing.
thumb2_imag0828-57843.jpg

just to get back to this one...

after the flavors meld, this turned out to taste more like a chocolate stout.

if i do this one again, i will add biscuit, probably about 8 oz, and drop the chocolate malt down to about 3oz.

it had a good roasted flavor, creamy head, and a nice amount of bitterness, but the cocolate malt gave it a bit too much coffee flavor if you ask me, however, i am just about done with the keg, and can't wait to put something new in.

It has now been eleven months, and just cracked a bottle that has been aging in the keezer.
Although before it was too coffee bitter for my taste, out now taste extremely comparable to a guineas extra stout.
Still not my bag, however after eleven months it is now a much better beer that I can easily enjoy.

ForumRunner_20131125_190913.jpg

Latest posts

Back