What the heck it this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
I couldn't take a very good picture to really represent what's going on here, but what you see is a very thin white 'skin' over the surface of the beer with small little white patches about the size of a matchhead. The round thing in the middle is actually bubble that has been captured by the skin. ki

The beer doesn't smell bad and it's about a month old. It was two weeks in the primary and two weeks in the secondary. The OG was 1.048 but I haven't taken the FG. I can do that if someone thinks it might help with a diagnosis, but it seemed to ferment in exactly the same way as all the other brews I've done so there wasn't any initial concern. I just noticed it today when I racked another brew to make way for today's cook, so I don't know how long it's been like that.

Any ideas?

7601-beerbubble.jpg

i'd say don't worry about it. take a reading and taste it. if it tastes alright, you have nothing to be concerned with. there's always "weird" stuff on the top of the beer and it usually is nothing. i don't trust visual diagnosis.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I took a taste and I think it's alright. I still have that same over-hopped problem (15 gallons worth now) but I'm hoping that it will mellow out a bit over the next couple of weeks.

At first I thought it was mould, but it's definitely a skin. The wine thief left a hole in it.

Latest posts

Back