Hops won't settle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boldone

Reaction score
I have a RYEPA that was kegged a couple of weeks ago. When I hooked it up to my kegerator the fluid line got clogged with hop sludge. I jacked up the pressure and got it cleared out. It has now been two weeks and I still get hops floating in every pour.

Will carbonation keep the hops from settling in the keg?

Any advice to clear this brew up?

I dry hopped in the secondary and apparently when I racked into the keg too much hop sludge transfered.

boldone said:
I dry hopped in the secondary and apparently when I racked into the keg too much hop sludge transfered.

I'd say transfer more carefully next time, put a hop-bag over the end of your racking cane to filter out any stray hops.

I'm transitioning away from using pellet hops for dryhopping and starting to go with whole. Not sure what to tell you at this point; don't want you to rack out of the keg. I'm wondering if you added some finings to the keg if they would attract the hop debris and help it settle to the bottom.

Bobby_M said:
In the future, I'd suggest dry hopping in the KEG with a hop bag and whole leaf hops.

Bobby, this is my plan, based on a conversation with Dude. Do you ever remove the hops from the keg? You hear rumors of grassy flavors resulting from dryhopping too long, but I've never dryhopped more than a couple weeks so I have no direct experience. I know he leaves them be, apparently with no ill consequence.

Also, does is make any difference if the beer is chilled when dryhopping in the keg?

On my last IPA, I put an ounce of Cascade leaf in a bag inside the keg the same time I was racking into it. That was early March and I just kicked the keg last night with the hops still in there. I don't know if I'd call the aroma/flavor grassy exactly, it's just hoppy to me. Hop aroma was most prominent about a week after adding them in, but it never subsided that much. I tied the hop bag to a stiff piece of stainless wire that is as tall as the inside of the keg. This keeps the bag down and gives me a way to retrieve it if I want to. I suppose this would allow you to fish it out after a week if you wanted to. You wouldn't lose too much carbonation if you bleed the pressure off slowly, remove, then get it back on the gas.

Back