electric build help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootay

Reaction score
So i am kicking around the idea of switching to electric. I have a large extra room in the basement, and setting up a dedicated brew room sounds like a magnificent idea! :ban: Most of the build threads i come across seem to appeal to people that are a bit more advanced than me when it comes to electric brewing. My plan right now is to have an electric HLT and boil kettle (all keggles) and a keggle mash tun. Right now im not interested in step mashing, but i can see where i would go the herms route eventually. I have an unfinished basement and getting access to 220 wont be an issue. From what ive read, ill need some type of control panel and temperature controller, but i think there is where im confused as to how they work. Will the control panel automatically cycle the elements on and off based on the temperature of the wort/water? Will the keggles also need to be equipped with thermometers? Ive read through quite a bit of threads, but perhaps i missed the one that will lead me in the right direction. Any insight would be great! Also, any roundabout price would be good for some budgeting.

I have been doing a lot of reading and plan do to the same thing you are. The control panel will have PIDs that will cycle on/off the elements per the temperature that is read with RTD temp sensors. The RTDs will need to be placed where they can read the temp correctly. So yes, there will need to be sensors in the HLT and BK.

I have started to price out my system (eHERMS with keggles) and came up with about $1500-1700. I already have two keggles converted (ball locks, dip tubes, QDs), pump and plate chiller. This price is just for the hardware to take my system from what it is now to what I would like it to be with electric. This price does not include getting electricity to where I need it or building a dedicated brew room.

Checkout the Brewtroller control board. I am currently building my system off of it.

Latest posts

Back