wyeast 2565 Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taurean

Reaction score
I just brewed a kolsch with wyeast 2565 kolsch. I was shooting for an OG of 1.042-1.045. I got 1.040... oops. I'm hoping to get to 1.007. I usually do not brew anything under 6%, so this is my first smaller beer.

Any experiences with how low this yeast normally goes to?

The Kolsch I brewed on 7/17 had an OG 1.042 and FG 1.012, that was with pure O2 and 14 days of fermentation. Hope that helps...

Here's some empirical data for ya:

I'm just cold-crashed an all-grain Kölsch:

5lb Schill Kölsch malt
5lb German Pilsner Malt
double-step infusion mash: rest 1 = 144 (45 mins) rest 2 = 154 (45 mins)
Batch sparged...
90 min boil
Pure O2
OG = 1.045
FG = 1.008

Left in primary for three weeks:

Week 1 = 54F
Week 2 = 58F
Week 3 = I slowly ramped up a couple degrees each day until I hit 72F

I went ahead and drank the raw beer in the graduated cylinder when I took the FG via hydrometer. It had a wine-like character, very dry, with almost no detectable malt character (which I don't think is true to style, but whatever).

When I do this next time, I'm going to use 100% Kölsch malt, maybe add a lb of light wheat malt (cereal mashed by itself maybe), 60 min infusion @ around 152 or so. I'd ideally like a little more maltiness in the end product to balance out the bittering hops. We'll see how this one turns out and keep doing this same recipe over and over again until I can nail down the perfect balance.

Bottoms up, y'all!

- LL

For all-grain beer mashed at an average 150 F for 40 minutes, in my experience Wyeast 2565 has consistently fermented down to about 82% attenuation on average. So for a 1.040 all-grain beer, I would expect final gravity of 1.007, exactly as the OP wanted.

But if you're brewing with extract, it might turn out a bit higher than this, as high as perhaps 1.014 depending on what brand of extract you used.

EDIT: Oh my God, I see now that this post was resurrected from 4.5 years ago. Nevertheless, my experience stated here stands.

For all-grain beer mashed at an average 150 F for 40 minutes, in my experience Wyeast 2565 has consistently fermented down to about 82% attenuation on average. So for a 1.040 all-grain beer, I would expect final gravity of 1.007, exactly as the OP wanted.

But if you're brewing with extract, it might turn out a bit higher than this, as high as perhaps 1.014 depending on what brand of extract you used.

EDIT: Oh my God, I see now that this post was resurrected from 4.5 years ago. Nevertheless, my experience stated here stands.

ha ha ha ha... I didn't see that either. Wonder if the beer is still fermenting....LOL

Cheers
Jay

Latest posts

Back