Pilots who are avid brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet, glad to have ya here Wing Nut!

We have a lot of brewers in our company, BUT some of them bottle thier beer in 2 liter soda bottles and dont seem to take it very seriously.

Welcome!

I'm a private pilot, but it's been almost two years since I've flown. I decided I could no longer justify $100/hour to poke holes in the sky for no good reason other than entertainment.

I'll fly again if and when I can buy a C182 and pay all the expenses with fun money. Instrument rating will happen at that time, too.

I'm a private pilot, but it's been almost two years since I've flown. I decided I could no longer justify $100/hour to poke holes in the sky for no good reason other than entertainment.

I'll fly again if and when I can buy a C182 and pay all the expenses with fun money. Instrument rating will happen at that time, too.

Brian, never knew!

I spend a lot of time on the flight deck contemplating new brew inventions, processes and recipes. Half the time you cant see where you are going anyway, so it gets boring.

Got my private at age 19 and have been flying ever since. Instrument followed some years later with multi close behind. I currently own a Mooney J model and mainly fly to my vacation place in Key West. I'm an avid kiteboarder and fisherman, and use my plane to chase the wind and the fish. Perfect combination. When it's too windy to fish, I kiteboard ~ when there's no wind, I fish. I recently took some of my home brew to the beach for my kiteboarding buddies. Some really liked it, but most are happy with the old Bud light. But nothing takes the salt water taste out of your mouth better than lawnmower beer. I save the home brew for later on at home, sitting on the porch.

Here's a Me Too post! Private pilot, instrument rated (not current :( ).

Interesting fact : I obtained my instrument rating at Wright Field, my final landing a few hundred feet from where the Wright Bros played. That was a hell of a day- nothing like losing vacuum FOR REAL on your check flight.

Used to use it a lot in business, not so much now. I'd love to tame my hobby ADD long enough to build an RV. Things get a little rosier around 1 November here, as my alimony is completed ( Yes, preparing to brew for that party! ).

Interesting fact : I obtained my instrument rating at Wright Field, my final landing a few hundred feet from where the Wright Bros played. That was a hell of a day- nothing like losing vacuum FOR REAL on your check flight.

Used to use it a lot in business, not so much now. I'd love to tame my hobby ADD long enough to build an RV. Things get a little rosier around 1 November here, as my alimony is completed ( Yes, preparing to brew for that party! ).

Hey Larry!! Been nice talking to you and helping you with the HERMS! I think that the precision and critical thinking that it takes to be a successful pilot, is excellent when it comes to brewing. Also, most pilots I know are broke, so we need cheap beer!

This is an invitation to another thread. "What's the perfect beer for a divorce/final alimony party?"

I'm a private pilot, building my own airplane, and brew. I started flying in 2000 and brewing in 2007.

Flying the 767 to Europe three days a week is a great way to try all kinds of new beers and collect some great bottles. Started out flying F-18s and F-5s for twenty years in the Navy. Haven’t regretted any part of the career for a single minute. Even though airline benefits aren’t as good as they used to be, there aren’t too many jobs out there that give you as much time off with great pay. It’s kind of hard calling it work, but don’t let management know that.
This forum has been great help for getting me started with home brewing. Every question I’ve had has already been answered. Thanks for getting me started on the right track.

Flying the 767 to Europe three days a week is a great way to try all kinds of new beers and collect some great bottles. Started out flying F-18s and F-5s for twenty years in the Navy. Haven’t regretted any part of the career for a single minute. Even though airline benefits aren’t as good as they used to be, there aren’t too many jobs out there that give you as much time off with great pay. It’s kind of hard calling it work, but don’t let management know that.
This forum has been great help for getting me started with home brewing. Every question I’ve had has already been answered. Thanks for getting me started on the right track.

US to Europe 3x a week? Since you can only fly one leg per day, at 7 hours or so per leg across the pond, that is 6 days of consecutive work?? Who the heck are you flying for?\

Err, maybe you meant three days a week, flying to Europe, meaning ONE day over, one day rest and ONE day back??

Ok this thread needs a few recipes added to it, some aviation themed beers. As soon as I find my computer with beer smith I will post my "Sneaky Fokker red ale"

Cheers
Wing Nut

US to Europe 3x a week? Since you can only fly one leg per day, at 7 hours or so per leg across the pond, that is 6 days of consecutive work?? Who the heck are you flying for?\

Err, maybe you meant three days a week, flying to Europe, meaning ONE day over, one day rest and ONE day back??

It's the one day over, one day of "rest" :mug:, and a day back.

I flew a friend's Commander over the Golden Gate Bridge once. Does that count?

Actually getting my license is on my list of things to do. Someday when there's free time and funds...

B

Actually getting my license is on my list of things to do. Someday when there's free time and funds...
B

I hope you get it... once it bites you, you cannot really let it go.

I head out in a couple days again, and I am looking forward to it. When I get back, I keg my most recent brew!

Just caught this thread. I can tell you guys are a lot younger than me. My dual instruction was $20 hour in a 150. Of course av fuel was about 75 cents a gallon then tops. By the way my American Amber (first brew) is pretty close to perfect. See pics in gallery.:mug:

B

flying over the GGB as the grand finale of a "Bay Tour" is one of the great moments of my flying life for sure. Buzz around the city, out into the bay, left hand turn around Alcatraz and up over the bridge. Hard to beat.

A night flight over SF is an unforgettable experience as well.

I just retired after 21 years in the Air Force. Flew the A-10 for 3 years way back in '89-92. Flew 11 years in the Viper from '92-'03. Flew 5 years in T-38 A and C model from '03 to 08. Now a civilian contractor instructing NATO fighter pilots in the T/AT-38C and collecting retirement and disability (3 herniated discs in the neck from the Viper). Lots of my neighbors are still active and mooch all of my beer. Thougt about the airline deal and had interviews with Southwest Delta united and Airtran. Decided not to bother. I found out they work too hard nowadays and are gone way too much. that would eat into my brew schedule. No Thanks!

LOL! That's why they are called "lawn darts"! Where were you based? I flew hogs at Bentwaters, Spang, and DM

You can LOOK for jobs at the majors, but there are none. And a lot of us that are there are looking for something else.

Yah, the majors wont be hiring for a while.... I mean if regionals are furloughing and most majors have guys on furlough already... hiring is not happening anytime (year) soon.

Also, consider the fact that to be protected from a furlough at a major will take nearly 15 of seniority, that is a sobering thought!

Aviation is a volitile business, no wonder we drink so much eh?

I consider myself lucky, but I am certain that my luck will not always hold out.

Just found the thread...been brewing for a year and a half, and this is my 10th year as a airline/professional pilot. 2 stellar airlines (Air Midwest and Comair) and now I'm loving life (no, seriously) with a fractional, flying a Hawker 800 & 900. I've been on this for just under 2 years and the company far exceeds anything that I could have imagined. This definitely is a fickle business and I tell people that it's more of a lifestyle than a career.

Just found the thread...been brewing for a year and a half, and this is my 10th year as a airline/professional pilot. 2 stellar airlines (Air Midwest and Comair) and now I'm loving life (no, seriously) with a fractional, flying a Hawker 800 & 900. I've been on this for just under 2 years and the company far exceeds anything that I could have imagined. This definitely is a fickle business and I tell people that it's more of a lifestyle than a career.

Exactly...

I have been at Republic for 6 years, I dont think I will ever go anywhere else at this point, unless they make me!

I realize this thread is geared more for airplane drivers and I am just a hot air balloon pilot but I just got a nice new job. I have been contracted to fly one of the advertising balloons for Wells Fargo Bank. They operate 3 regular shape balloons and a special shape stagecoach. They are one of the more active corporate balloon programs in the USA. It is not a full time gig and I still have to keep my real job. Mostly weekend appearances and some tour work. But it is nice to go fly someone else's aircraft and get paid for it. Saves on wear and tear on my own balloon.

WFBalloonPic2.jpg

This pic is from last year's Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. I have been brewing madly to get a bunch ready for the event in October. I will serving "Fiesta Red Ale", "ToeJam Robust Porter", and "Lighter Than Air Blonde". That should offer something for everyone to enjoy during the after flight tailgating.

Cheers fellow wingmen!

Beer & Aviation go hand in hand. We all enjoy doing a little "hangar flying" over a good tasty pint.

I started flying back in 1979...FTY with Fulton Air Service & then as a member of the Georgia Tech Flying Club. A good buddy of mine talked me into transfering to Florida Instititue of Technology...where I added my Comm/Inst./CFII..and flight instructed there until I joined the Air Force in 1983. I flew the C-21A and C-141B in the Air Force...

After "Stop-Loss" ended...I got out and was hired by AA. That's when I started homebrewing. The cause...Probation Pay :( But man am I ever happy I learned to brew. I've been brewing off-and-on for the last 18 years...

As far as airplanes... C-150/152/172 Piper Cherokee/Warrior/Arrow/Aztec T-37/38 C-21A C-141B B-727/737/757/767/777 MD-11 and R-22(Helicopter)... I love to fly airplanes...but what I wish I were flying is a helicopter. Man are those fun!!! I just can't afford to keep flying them like I'd like to.

Hopefully, my lottery numbers will hit one day...and I'll buy a helicopter... Until then...

Hey you guys flying balloons...that's a kick! That's aviation too!! I think flying is always a case of the grass is greener on the other side. Low and slow...long to be High and Fast...and High and Fast long to be Low and slow... But it's all good. And it beats every other job I've ever had.

Charlie

Hey I fly a 777 for DAL. I've flown for DL for 18 years, USAir for 2 and a commuter before that. My wife flew in the AF (C-141) and is a beer drinker. I've also flown the 757, 767,727, L1011, md-88, md-11, F-28, BAe-146, Beech 1900s and numerous light twins/singles.

Did the ATP written (98%); first time passes on all writtens and flights tests, coming up on 1,500 hours and applying to regionals about 4 years ago. Had an epiphany (reality check: poor pay and conditions for what is now essentially a bankrupt industry) and decided to return to my former career in IT. Sold my Mooney and C172; let my CFI-I lapse and never looked back. I still don't miss flying (which means it was the wrong career choice for me anyway), but I'm proud that at least two of my former instrument students are now regional airline captains (and one is driving airbuses for a major as an FO). Then I took up home brewing. Wife is happy that, as hobbies go, this one is considerably cheaper than aviation.

Hmm. I posted to this thread a long time ago and don't know why, since I am not a pilot.

Maybe I thought it was Aphids that are Pilot Brewers.

pMyzus.jpg

No. I'm not an aphid so that wasn't it.

Did the ATP written (98%); first time passes on all writtens and flights tests, coming up on 1,500 hours and applying to regionals about 4 years ago. Had an epiphany (reality check: poor pay and conditions for what is now essentially a bankrupt industry) and decided to return to my former career in IT. Sold my Mooney and C172; let my CFI-I lapse and never looked back. I still don't miss flying (which means it was the wrong career choice for me anyway), but I'm proud that at least two of my former instrument students are now regional airline captains (and one is driving airbuses for a major as an FO). Then I took up home brewing. Wife is happy that, as hobbies go, this one is considerably cheaper than aviation.

Yeah, the industry isnt what it was when I first began... then again, I was a computer programmer for 7 years prior to this and wanted to shoot myself nearly every day. Flying, was for me... it was the only thing for me.

8 years later sitting in the left seat isnt bad... it is a job where you have to be capable of letting nearly everything just roll off your back. You cant really worry too much about anything, except your own personal performance, because the entire system is so convoluted that it works against you no matter what you do.

I will never make $300k a year... but what I make now, far surpasses what I would make doing anything else that I enjoy, so I guess this is it. It isnt an industry for the faint of heart, every year there is some huge change that threatens to sink you or solidify your future and you never know how it is going to go until it does.

Bottom line, planes will always be flying, so I will find one that needs a pilot, or better yet, an aviator, and fill the seat. It doenst have to be my current 121 gig, but it has to have wings.

I realize this thread is geared more for airplane drivers and I am just a hot air balloon pilot but I just got a nice new job. I have been contracted to fly one of the advertising balloons for Wells Fargo Bank. They operate 3 regular shape balloons and a special shape stagecoach. They are one of the more active corporate balloon programs in the USA. It is not a full time gig and I still have to keep my real job. Mostly weekend appearances and some tour work. But it is nice to go fly someone else's aircraft and get paid for it. Saves on wear and tear on my own balloon.

AirRageous,

Congrats on the flying gig. Balloon flying can be very exciting, especially when it's someone elses equipment::D. I got to fly the Navy's hot air balloons for a few years out there in Alb. I've flown all kinds of airplanes, but doing the mass assentions at the Alb Balloon Fiesta are some of my fondest memories. Seeing 100,000 people drunk before 9:00am is a sight to remember too. Think I'll have to make it out to the Fiesta this year. Have fun and be safe.

Aint that the truth eh? I made the transition from the civy world to military 4 years ago and haven’t regretted it at all. I was flying for a small charter company with a couple of Cessna's on floats and I would get resumes from all sorts of guys willing to work for free just to get that first job. One guy had his dad come to talk to me "man to man". I told that dad that his son will never make it anywhere in this industry sending your dad to beg for a job for you.

They made me sick, you just spent $60,000-$100,000 on obtaining a commercial license and you want to work for less than a 14 year old kid at McDonalds! Give your head a shake.

Perhaps with the recent events in the media pilots will finally get the respect they deserve as professional. Then again I doubt the industry will ever stop slashing fares just to try and steal market shares

I digress......

Jet Blue just secured a pretty nice contract... but the industry as a whole is on the decline. 12 months or less and another major will be in BK Id guess. Gee, wonder who that could be? :eek:

I think the MORE media attention pilots get, the less respect they will recieve. After all... each story is simply finger pointing at these "bone heads" anyway. This does not instill confidence or respect.

Yeah, the industry isnt what it was when I first began... then again, I was a computer programmer for 7 years prior to this and wanted to shoot myself nearly every day. Flying, was for me... it was the only thing for me.

8 years later sitting in the left seat isnt bad... it is a job where you have to be capable of letting nearly everything just roll off your back.

Don't forget you were also a OSHA compliance manager for an automotive company years back as well.

8 years later sitting in the left seat isnt bad... it is a job where you have to be capable of letting nearly everything just roll off your back. You cant really worry too much about anything, except your own personal performance, because the entire system is so convoluted that it works against you no matter what you do.

That's what I hear from my buddy. He's been in the left seat for a couple of years now flying RJ's for the largest regional. He loves the flying but dislikes the corporate politics and loathes the lack of financial security (near certainty of being furloughed at least once in his career and finishing with no pension) and being away from his family so much. But he can't imagine doing anything else as he just loves flying, and considering most people don't enjoy their jobs he is in a happy place compared to many. So even though it wasn't the career for me, I must confess I do envy him a little for that.

AirRageous,

Congrats on the flying gig. Balloon flying can be very exciting, especially when it's someone elses equipment::D. I got to fly the Navy's hot air balloons for a few years out there in Alb. I've flown all kinds of airplanes, but doing the mass assentions at the Alb Balloon Fiesta are some of my fondest memories. Seeing 100,000 people drunk before 9:00am is a sight to remember too. Think I'll have to make it out to the Fiesta this year. Have fun and be safe.

Let me know if you will make it out to the Fiesta. We can enjoy some homebrew and swap lies.

When I started you weren't considered an airline pilot until you are furloughed, member of a 3 man crew and been divorced. Still on the first wife but I've met the other two twice each. But it sure beats working.

Don't forget you were also a OSHA compliance manager for an automotive company years back as well.

That was for the same company... I did both jobs for the last three years that I was at the company. We had no safety director and since that was my minor in college, I got the "promotion" without pay. Further drove me to leave the office scene!

Looks like during the final auction day for Frontier, we bought them. What the hell we are doing buying them and Midwest, I have no idea... :(

Hey I fly a 777 for DAL. I've flown for DL for 18 years, USAir for 2 and a commuter before that. My wife flew in the AF (C-141) and is a beer drinker. I've also flown the 757, 767,727, L1011, md-88, md-11, F-28, BAe-146, Beech 1900s and numerous light twins/singles.

C-141's?? I was based in CHS from 1/88 - 5/91 17th MAS...

I didn't know that you could be a C-141 driver and NOT a beer drinker :confused: Guess their might have been one or two that weren't. Make that one...just maybe. :)

Did you get caught in the early- mid-90's furlough at Delta?

Back