Bloody Mary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my favorite:

Loretta's Bloody Mary

1 quart Beefamato or Clamato juice
Juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Tabasco brand hot sauce
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
Freshly ground white pepper
1 and 1/2 cups pepper-flavored or plain vodka
Lemon or lime slices for garnish
Mix all ingredients in a 2-quart pitcher. Stir until well blended.
Pour into ice-filled glasses, and garnish with lemon or lime.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Yooper Chick said:
This is my favorite:

Loretta's Bloody Mary

Juice of one lemon
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Atta-girl! Though technically with the Clamato it's a Caesar. Ever tried one with gin? You'll never go back to vodka once you do.

What are they called when you use tequilla? Those are tasty too.
Also, I like a big green olive or two in mine.

I love gin! I never even considered making these with gin. Now, I'm just going to have to! I have tons of tequila, so that might be a possibility too.

I've never had a bloody mary. I don't like tomato juice so I guess that rules these out....

This may sound odd, but don't knock it until you try it. My friends and I have always added a spoonfull, or two, of steak juice or au jus or whatever you want to call it to our bloody marys. We typically only drink bloody marys in the morning and with steak and eggs if we're going on an all day drinking bender and that spponfull of delicious steaky goodness really brings the drink to a new level

cnbudz said:
This may sound odd, but don't knock it until you try it. My friends and I have always added a spoonfull, or two, of steak juice or au jus or whatever you want to call it to our bloody marys. We typically only drink bloody marys in the morning and with steak and eggs if we're going on an all day drinking bender and that spponfull of delicious steaky goodness really brings the drink to a new level
That would be the worcestershire sauce, no?

I mix vodka with spicy V8 and a little Worstershire sauce, and add some pepper. I usually garnish it with a slice or two of cold pepperoni on the rim of the glass in the style of a fruit slice on a fruity mixed drink. The added meat smell when you're drinking makes it better, and I'm being completely serious when I say that.

cnbudz said:

My seeker recipe....you add A1 to it. And other stuff.

quarter fill the glass with vodka.
fill up with tomato juice
15 drops of tabasco sauce (nice kick required)
drink
repeat

None of that fancy namby pamby crap for me!

Bloody Mary- def made with Worstershire sauce, and tabasco. the only drink i had so many of them i blacked out, and never blacked back in. the entire day.

btw, i'm saving that recipe Lorena! looks awesome!

:rockin:
Just mixed up a couple of these to end a great day of brewing!!!

Yooper Chick said:
This is my favorite:

Loretta's Bloody Mary

Juice of one lemon
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Dude said:
My seeker recipe....you add A1 to it. And other stuff.

this is true...We used to serve them with A1 at the restaurant.

I love Bloody Mary's ... Not only are they a morning hangover drink, they are like a meal within a drink.

Tomato juice
Tito's Vodka
2 splashes Worcestershire
fresh grated ginger
prepared horseradish
fresh ground pepper
fresh lime juice
dash of celery salt
"@ss Reaper hot sauce (MAYBE 2 splashes...if you are brave enough)
Shake hard over ice, Strain

Has anyone ever considered/attempted a beer with a tomato hint in it, or is the acid content too much?

I make a great Bloody Mary, but I don't really measure much...and the recipe varies depending on what I have in the kitchen.

Yuri's Bloody Mary (an approximation):

8 oz tomato juice (generic, spicy Clamato, spicy V8...whatever's around)
1-2 oz vodka (Absolut works nicely in mixers...don't waste the good stuff)
Juice of 1/4 to 1/2 a lime (depending on the size of the lime)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire
A few drops of good hot sauce (Tobasco, Cholula's, etc)
Maybe a few more drops of hot sauce
Generous addition of fresh ground pepper (for the adventurous, add some fresh ground red pepper flakes)
Dash celery salt
Pinch horseradish (optional)

Shake with ice, strain (or don't strain...doesn't matter to me) into a glass rimmed with seasoned salt (Lowry's). Garnish with lime.

I am heading off tomorrow for a friend's "Bird Camp"- a weekend in which we are ostensibly grouse hunting but there is far more eating/drinking/card playing/merry making than any hunting really.

He has 3000 acres, all private and pristine. In the last, oh, 5 years or so now I'd guess I'm in charge of 2 meals and the beer. I also am in charge of the Bloody Marys. Our group is getting smaller every year, and this year there are only five of us. So, I made two quarts of Bloody Marys, for brunch on Saturday and Sunday.

I used the recipe I posted earlier, but added a wee bit of A1 steaksauce instead of only worchestershire.

Since I'm not mathematically inclined, I didn't think about how you when you add the vodka to the 2 quarts of bloody mary mix, you actually have 2.5 quarts of liquid. So, instead of drinking my usual after dinner beer, I'm drinking bloody mary cocktails. With a green olive, and a pickle spear, it's pretty darn good!

I would put my bloody mary up against any asshole on the planet. I usually do it as a Bloody Maria though.

Silver Tequila
Kern's Clamato (a reasonable amount)
Ground Pepper (some)
Bitters (A dash or so)
Worcestershire (a little more than some)
Lime Juice (A lot)
Celery Seed (A decent amount)
Hot Sauce, tabasco is fine, I do like a good habanero hot sauce though (A fuckload)

now here is the key. A good couple shakes of Old Bay's Seasoning.

Then make additions. I like mine with a couple olives, a pickled quail egg, and a marinated artichoke. And there you have it.

Bloody Marys and ******** go poorly together. Don't ask me how I know this, you dont know me well enough to judge me :p.

Here's my ultimate (though I will make a toned down version when necessary)

Pint glass that has been rimmed with "Creole Seasoning"
Ice
Enough Worcestershire to completely cover ice cubes
Tablespoon of horse radish (with or without beets)
Kosher salt and pepper
3 hard dashes of tabasco/franks/krystal or other favorite hotsauce. Less if I am using V8 spicy

Now... liquids!

Vodka that has been in the freezer up 1/4 of the pint glass
V8 or V8 spicy the rest of the way up
1/4 of a lime's juice

Add-ons

Toothpick covered in green olives
a pickled okra
1/4 of a lime
celery stick for stirring
long, skinny piece of beef (or exotic) jerky

I do like the idea of celery seed, I might make that addition.

I am not a fan of tomato juice but I make them for my g/f often. When I have some of my homemade smokey bbq sauce I will add aprox. 1/2 teaspoon of that in her bloody mary, which she loves.

I know of a place that adds a bit of stout to their Bloody Mary. Kinda interesting...

On a recent trip to NOLA French Quarter, my sister got a bloody mary & the waitress topped it off with Guinness. Added a nice flavor to it.

For those who like a little garnish in bloody.

My SWMBO doesn't like tomatoes at all. But loves a good bloody. I like mine with pickeled asparagus.

image-3199337245.jpg

image-3074709051.jpg

image-465645216.jpg

I make 'em with homemade pepper-infused vodka.

Into a bottle of vodka, typ 1L, put two or three whole cayennes and 1/8 - 1/4 tsp of whole black peppercorns. Rest it for a week or bit more, then decant off the liquid. Too much longer steeping or running amok with the peppercorns and it seems to get bitter.

Great in Bloody Mary or Caeser, and also for pepper vodka shots when icy cold from the freezer.

Back