Irish Red -- To Die For

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbeggs15

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale
Yeast Starter
No starter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 68
Additional Fermentation
14 days in bottle too
Tasting Notes
Great Bodied Beer, Full of Flavor
Recipe: Irish Red
Brewer: Tyson Beggs
Asst Brewer:
Style: Irish Red Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 15.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 59.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 88.83 %
0.38 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.82 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3.17 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.17 %
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 32.5 IBU
1.00 oz Galena [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 23.3 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Brewed this beer up and it is hands down the favorite beer of all my friends, I really like it too, but I love IPA's. Great beer with a great body. Hope you all enjoy!

I am going to brew this, but change it just a tad.

6# golden light DME
.5# caramel crystal - 60L
2oz roasted barley

Same hops except I changed Gelena to Kent Goldings.
This changed the IBU's from about 60, down to 45.

White labs Irish ale yeast.

With the IBU's in the 45 range with the smooth EKGoldings, I think it'll be really good. Can't wait!! (I'm an IPA guy too ;))

I can only get ingredients by the .5 lb. and didn't want to waste anything , so for grains used .5 lbs crystal 50-60 and .5 light roasted barley. Its almost like a light stout if there can be such a thing.So far it is well revieved.

I can only get ingredients by the .5 lb. and didn't want to waste anything , so for grains used .5 lbs crystal 50-60 and .5 light roasted barley. Its almost like a light stout if there can be such a thing.So far it is well revieved.

Sounds good with the light roasted barley. Maybe an American Brown Ale, or ESB (extra special BROWN)? :cross:

Tasting notes:

Aroma:

->Really no aroma on this one.

Look:

->Almost a dark ale instead of a red, would dial back on the roasted barley to give less color for it to be a red ale.
->Not much head, and if you gave it a good poor the head would fall away with little to no lacing.

Taste:

->Full Bodied at the front of the tongue and full of malt flavor.
->At the middle of the tongue the bitterness of the extra hops starts to kick. However not getting any of the taste of the hops and only bitterness.
->At the back of the tongue getting a little more hop bite and its almost counterbalancing the malt in an unfavorable way, but then once you swallow your like hmm, thats not bad I'll take another sip :)

Notes:

->Note sure I would brew this again as a Red Ale. I woudl for sure brew it as a Dark Ale instead and bumb up the ABV. Celler this one for a bit longer as the hop bitterness tones down with age and turns into a really great beer when left to condition > 1 month.

->Was a 'green' beer for a good month and only recently started to mellow out. This green period was longer then other beers I've brewed.

Thanks again for posting the recipe enjoyed brewing it.

-Brett

WP_000109.jpg

Tasting notes:

Aroma:
->Light fruit, slightly toasty, slightly nutty.

Look:

->Very Dark for a red. Less Roasted Barley or put it in later to lighten, but the flavor may suffer.
->Carbonation was almost nil, 1/16th to 1/8th head.

Taste:

->Med to Full Bodied at the start.
->Mild Bitterness at mid.
->Finish was slightly toasty/nutty.

Notes:

->This will be on by frequent brew list. Good all year brew. Excellent at room temp as well as at cold temp (garage was 35 degrees when i cracked it open)
->All reading says to age this a month before getting into it. But I couldn't wait. ;)

Thanks again for posting the recipe enjoyed brewing it.

Brewing this beer again today it's been to long. I am using a little less roasted barely (.20) and crystal 40 instead of 60. Cheers

Maybe you could throw a couple oz's of Torrified wheat in there for head retention.

Latest posts

Back