American Hops for American Nut Brown?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Looking for a solid hop combo for an American Brown extract recipe...most Brown Ale recipes I've seen use English hops...looking for an American combo...any suggestions?

Here are the steeping grains I'm using:

12 oz Victory
4 oz Chocolate
4 oz Roasted Barley
4 oz Crystal 120L

Actually...could also use a good yeast suggestion.

some combo of willamette, liberty, nugget, mt hood would work.

I'd prolly go notty or S-04 on the yeast unless you want that american too. WLP001 would be fine in that case, maybe WLP-051 for a lil more esters

When I think of American Hops, I think of Chinnok, Centennial, Cascade... I've made a Janet's Brown Ale recipe with Cascade and Centennial and it was pretty good. You have to have a taste for them though. I'm actually looking to make my next brown ale an English style brown.

When I think of American Hops, I think of Chinnok, Centennial, Cascade... I've made a Janet's Brown Ale recipe with Cascade and Centennial and it was pretty good. You have to have a taste for them though. I'm actually looking to make my next brown ale an English style brown.

I love all 3 of those options...what sort of hop schedule do you think?

Chinook for bittering?
Cascade/Centennial for aroma/flavor?

i just made a brown myself a few days ago bittered w chinook and some cascades thrown in at the end. not sure how brown it will turn out in flavor, but it smells really good coming out of the airlock right now.

Back