Building Your Own Refrigerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ppeg34

Reaction score
Do any of you know of any diy's of people building their kegerator out of the guts of an old fridge or freezer? I have seen many many many conversions, but I haven't been able to find anybody who has taken out all of the guts and put them in a custom, insulated keg box.

The possibilities seem truly endless with such a setup.

Google is your friend on this. Basically you need a fridge that has the evaporator as the freezer compartment and than carefully remove the rest of the compresser assembly and than modify it to work in your situation wort o matic has a good write up

I built my own keg box and it works pretty well. I broke the coil so it made it a little complicated but if you are careful its not too hard. I built a box out of 1/2" plywood and some 2x2's then got a sheet of 2" styrofoam insulation from home depot to insulate it. I filled the cracks with great stuff foam, slapped some shower board on the inside and 1/8" nice looking plywood on the outside. I then added some trim and a tile bar top to make it pretty. For a door I mounted a mini fridge door from the fridge I stole the cooling from. I still need to make a new irish coffin cause mine is short and ****ty looking but it pours cold beer. It fits 2 5 gallons, a half barrel and my 5lb co2 tank.
IMG_8634.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions or want more pictures

Wow... That looks awesome. I just may be resurrecting this thread this coming weekend! I'll certainly let you know if I have questions when it comes time to get my hands dirty.

Latest posts

Back