Greetings from Georgia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedaler

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My name's Taylor and I'm currently a student at the University of Georgia. I got interested in homebrewing after watching the Good Eats episode about brewing beer. So far I'm on my third brew, my first being an american pale ale (which didn't turn out very well, the bitterness was crazy) and my second was an Oatmeal Porter (turned out very well). I just finished making an American Wheat beer, which I think turned out poorly as it has a cidery flavor, though its only been conditioning for about three days. I blame the cidery taste on a high fermentation temp since I didn't use any sugar besides for priming. Since I live in a condo, its difficult to get the fermentation temperature down, but for my next brew I'm going to try the wet towel/fan trick. Does this work well for a plastic bucket fermenter? I probably only need to lower it about 6-8 degrees. Anyway, I'm really liking the forum, lots of good information.

Cheers,
Taylor

Hello,
Welcome to the forum! I'm guessing that a wet towel would work to lower the temp. Give it a shot and see if it works. Its all part of the fun!:mug:

John Beere said:
UGA is in Athens, Ga

Ah, Altanta is in GA. I stayed there for a couple of days - interesting place! I was the only white face I saw apart from my friend and people in the pub. Weird, good weird though!

? What is UGA?

Hi everyone,

I am very new to the forum and somewhat new to Atlanta (10 months). I have given myself plenty of time to get moved in and I am ready to get back into brewing. I am looking for a good local home brew supply shop. Are there any near by? I know there is one in Lilburn (http://www.homebrewingsupplies.org) that I have heard from one person is good. I was hoping that there was something closer to the city (east side even better).

By the way, Alton Brown, host of Good Eats that the OP was talking about is from Marietta. On his show he went to a supply shop in Marietta, I looked it up and it is closed now:( . I guess business in the area must be very slow.

Thanks

Welcome to the group, Beer Necessities is in Alpharetta here is there number (770) 645-1777. I was up there this past weekend for the first time, they are moving into a bigger store and Bob the owner is very good.

Brewiz said:
Welcome to the group, Beer Necessities is in Alpharetta here is there number (770) 645-1777. I was up there this past weekend for the first time, they are moving into a bigger store and Bob the owner is very good.

Hi, thanks for the response. Alpharetta is a bit far for me (I live in Decatur), but I head up there occasionally. HAve you ever heard about the shop in Lilburn?
Thanks again

Beerrific said:
Hi, thanks for the response. Alpharetta is a bit far for me (I live in Decatur), but I head up there occasionally. HAve you ever heard about the shop in Lilburn?
Thanks again

I don't think it's open anymore, there is one in Fayetteville but that's still a hike for you. Bad thing about the Atlanta area not very hombrew friendly. Just have to do like I do and stock up for the long haul. I order hops by the pound save my yeast and I have about 300lbs of grain on hand right now.

Brewiz said:
I don't think it's open anymore, there is one in Fayetteville but that's still a hike for you. Bad thing about the Atlanta area not very hombrew friendly. Just have to do like I do and stock up for the long haul. I order hops by the pound save my yeast and I have about 300lbs of grain on hand right now.

Their website is still up. But it is still a drive.

I would like to support my local shop but ....

I will probably order from AHS. Their $5.99 shipping is literally cheaper than driving to Alpharetta. If I am ever up that way I will try to stop by and stock up.

Thanks

Hey I am in Valdosta also. Just accually started my-self (noob). trying to find a club but with no homebrew shops nearby its hard to find a mecca for some.

Back