leftover barlywine recipe - help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
Hello! I have enough ingredients to make a barlywine... I think! All I need is to figure out the yeast bit... I think! Could you offer some advice please?

Here is the recipe - basically all these items are in my larder and I have enough beer bottled now to be patient for the long fermentation & conditioning (!):

Batch: 5.50 gallon batch, 3 gallon boil

Ingredients
-----------
Canadian honey malt 0.25 lb, Grain, Steeped
Crystal 60L 1.00 lb, Grain, Steeped
Amber D.M.E. 3.00 lb, Extract
Golden D.M.E. 3.00 lb, Extract
Pilsen D.M.E. 3.00 lb, Extract
Light malt extract 3.30 lb, Extract

Cascade 1.00 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes
Cascade 1.00 oz, Pellet, 50 minutes
Centennial 0.50 oz, Pellet, 10 minutes
Centennial 1.00 oz, Pellet, 40 minutes
Northern Brewer 1.00 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes

Ferment primary 3 weeks, secondary couple of months - dry hop cascade 1 oz & centennial 0.5 oz

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.089 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 91 IBU
Recipe Color: 13 SRM
Estimated FG: 1.022
Alcohol by Volume: 8.6%
Alcohol by Weight: 6.8%

My questions:

1. yeast? I have safale us05, o4 (X2), and nottingham

2. if I dryhop do I put the hops in at the beginning fo the secondary fermentation - i.e 2-3 months? Or should I add the hops at the end of the secondary stage, say 2 weeks before bottling?

I'd use us-05 or 04 or Nottingham for this. Use two packs and rehydrate. Prepare for the krausen to come through your airlock(search blowoff tube) and keep it a bit cool to start. Recipe looks damn good to me.

edit: You'll wanna age this beer a bit and the dry hops will be lost unless you do a very long bulk aging in secondary and wait to drop them in, bottle 1-2weeks later with fresh yeast and pray that it will still carb up.

I am cynical about liquid yeast over dry yeast (something to do with the price difference!) though I admit I know NOTHING!

I'll try 2X nottingham and maybe some champagne yeast in the secondary if the FG sticks... maybe!

Thanks for the dry hop tip. makes sense to hold off. I love the Sierra Nevada barlywine and the hops in that one are quite forward.

Back