Should I degas again???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdanprice

Reaction score
I degassed my kit per the instructions for 2 minutes, and as everyone said, it kept giving off CO2. I used a homemade whip on the end of a drill, but after an hour of off and on whipping, I was still getting bubbles. Concerned that I may oxidize the wine, I gave up.

Now that the wine is clarified, racked, and is bulk aging, should I worry about degassing again? Just for grins, I whipped it again after the last racking, and I got more CO2. Is it going to hurt it to degas at this point?

A newbie here... why do you need to degas? I've only bottled one batch, and didn't degas. Didn't know it was even a process. I've got a strawberry wine though that will probably need to be bottled early next week.

Degassing is pretty necessary in my opinion. Without your wine will not properly clear and will most likely drop sediment in your bottles over time, some wines more then others. If you made grape wine from grapes, the the action of pressing the grapes with the wine press eliminates 90% of the C02 trapped in your wine. Kit wines and scratch wines in small amount so dont really get this abuse and most of the time are just racked from bucket to carboy gently and never get degassed. If you were degassing your win e at temps lower then 72* then youll probably still have C02 in your wine. You really need to get the temp up to 75* or a little above as cooler temps keep C02 in suspension. Without degassing your fining agent may not even work.

Back