No airlock/vapor lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what you mean.

Trying to make cider without yeast? Are you looking to naturally cultivate some sort of yeast?

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Airlocks cost a few bucks and keep out oxygen, dust, and other junk. The actual need for an airlock can be debated, especially with beers undergoing a vigorous fermentation (as the CO2 being produced will rest on the beer protecting it from oxygenation) but honestly I can't fathom purposely not using an airlock as it removes a lot of potential for stuff falling into your cider.

Airlocks cost a few bucks and keep out oxygen, dust, and other junk. The actual need for an airlock can be debated, especially with beers undergoing a vigorous fermentation (as the CO2 being produced will rest on the beer protecting it from oxygenation) but honestly I can't fathom purposely not using an airlock as it removes a lot of potential for stuff falling into your cider.

That would have been my answer, but the without yeast part threw me off. Still confused.

What i was asking is i dont have any tubing and dont live near any kind of home brew store really and was curious what was possible to do with out the typical cork top vapor lock?

Ok you could use aluminum foil and just lightly form it over the opening. However I'm not sure why you don't order one online.

Your issue with not using an airlock is that fruit flies really like cider and carry the bacteria that makes vinegar. They could easily turn your hard cider into apple cider vinegar.

You could buy some tubing at the local Home Depot and build an airlock. Search for blow-off tube and you'll get some ideas about how to make it work.

I'd just put foil a piece of sanitized foil over the top. Or make an blow-off tube like the guys are saying above. I buy all of the stuff for my blow-off tubes form Lowes or HD. I'd just be worried about extended aging/secondary fermenting without an airlock. I think during primary ferm you wouldn't have a problem b/c so much gas is keeping everything out, but when the ferm isn't so vigorous, nasties can get it.

RDWGAAL = relax, don't worry, and get an air lock!
J

You can use pretty much anything to keep air out. If you have any plastic wrap (saran wrap) you can put it over the hole and seal it with a rubber band, then poke a small hole in it with a sewing needle. In the old days they did a number of things. Some people just let ferment head overflow out of the bunghole of the keg, then wipe it down. Others allowed a small gap then placed a thin sheet of paper to keep O2 out, and when the paper would pop, they would replace it.

Just keep in mind, that if you use something to lock out the air during the primary part of the fermentation process, after it's over it doesn't produce much CO2. After the fermentation is complete, you can seal the hole off completely then just vent it by hand whenever you want.

use a balloon or UNLUBED condom and poke a hole in the top with a pin

lol....great image in my mind of the fermenter actively fermenting and the condom completely blown up letting air out.

to the author: Just buy an airlock. They are a couple of bucks and save you much more money and heartache.

Back