New to Ciders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan244

Reaction score
Hey guys… first post here and new to brewing.
This weekend I made my first cider
5 Gallons of apple juice
3 pounds of Orange blossom honey
2 pounds of brown sugar
A packet of Ale yeast
Around a 1.07 OG

After 9 to 12 hours I saw lots of activity at the air lock…everything seems to be going well.
My question now is how long until I have to Rack the cider to the 2nd carboy and also how long till Bottling??

I'd say give it about two to three weeks before your first racking. Between that and bottling, just let it sit until everything clears out and the bubble action halts. If you want a scientific answer, wait until your SG is well below 1.000 and doesn't look like it's going down anymore.

I've got a recipe going that's similar to yours, only I'm using 2 pounds of honey, two pounds of brown sugar. That is a lot of sugar for your yeasties to go through, so just give it some time. Put it somewhere warm and dark for a month and forget about it.

So... its been a while sense I blotted the cider in 1 gallon jugs. The cider seemed very tasteless, like alcoholic water. I killed all the yeasties in the batch and added 5 containers of frozen apple juice. Man is it good now the frozen apple juice added a nice apple taste and sweetness. This cider is potent, I had 3 glasses of it and it almost knocked me out. :drunk:

dan244 said:
So... its been a while sense I blotted the cider in 1 gallon jugs. The cider seemed very tasteless, like alcoholic water. I killed all the yeasties in the batch and added 5 containers of frozen apple juice. Man is it good now the frozen apple juice added a nice apple taste and sweetness. This cider is potent, I had 3 glasses of it and it almost knocked me out. :drunk:

from the recipie you posted Im not too shocked. You added enuff extra sugar to just about kill all the cider flavor and ended up with an ABV of (guessing) about 10-12%. Glad to hear ya got it "fixed" though and that ya like it:D

Back