Beer Recipe Wanted... Fall Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-H

Reaction score
I am looking for a good fall brew, here is how I would describe it...

Something relatively high in alchohol, 6% or more. I want a light golden beer with an oatmealish flavor with hints of cinnamin and apple. I like to order recipe kits from AHS (Austin Homebrew). Does anyone have anything in mind???

I've no clue, but I'll be curious to see what others come up with.

I've been seeing a lot about a Pumpkin Ale on this board, I wonder if that's something an few Extract brewers like you or I could handle?

Light golden, oatmeal, cinnamon, Apple

You sure do have a good grasp of what you want. I just made this up based on some other brews that I have made. Should be 1.069 OG - 1.018 FG @6.5% alc

5 gallon batch

7 Lbs extra light LME/ or 6 lbs light DME
1 Lb Rolled Oats, or instant oatmeal

.5 lb Carapils
.5 lb Crystal 10L
.5 lb American Vienna
.5 lb American Munich
1.5 teaspoons of cinnamon
2 large cans frozen apple juice concentrate

1.0 oz Fuggle Hops (Bittering hops 45 min Boil)
1.0 Fuggle (aroma add at flameout and steep 10 mins)

Steep grains and oatmeal for 30 mins @ 158 degrees in 2 gallons of water.

Add half of the Malt Extract and start a 45 min boil. Once Boil starts add 1.5 oz or Northern Brewer Hops for Bittering plus 1 teaspoon cinnamon for bittering. Boil for 30 mins and add the rest of the malt extract, apple juice and boil for the last 15 mins. Add 1.0 oz of fuggles hops and .5 tsp cinnamon at flameout and let it sit for 10 mins before cooling wort and transfering to the fermenter.

I would use White Labs Irish Ale yeast for this. It tends to add a fruity sweet taste.

I have had mixed results with apple juice. If you really want apple flavor, I would get some apple extract flavoring and instead of the apple juice, I would use 1.5 lbs of Honey in the receipe. Then I would add the apple flavoring at bottling. You would have to experiment to find the right amount of apple flavoring to add since different flavorings work differently.

When you say 2 large cans frozen apple juice, how many ounces do you suppose those are?

12-16oz? About the size of a can of beer. Remember that this is concentrated juice so a little goes a long way.

Of course you will have to try this recipe since you might want to adjust the amounts for your own taste. The Cinnamon may need decreasing according to your taste. It also might give you more Apple flavor if you boil the concentrated apple juice and add it to the secondary instead of the primary.

Like any other recipe.....adjust it and make it yours.

On second thought, try Fuggle hops instead of the Northern Brewer for bittering. Sometimes it is hard to say what a hops will do to a brew with spices and flavors. You may need something more "Tame" to allow the level of apple flavor that you want.

other hops that would probably do real nicely are Kent Goldings, Tettnang, Willamette, Perle, Saaz.

Mild hops

Commenting on just the hop schedule, using Northern Brewer would give this beer a very high IBU and would probably mask the flavors you're trying to add. I made a stout with NB and the bitterness is steep and distinct. Promash calculates the NB + Fuggles IBU's out to ~54. Using an all Fuggle schedule would put you at a tamer and better balanced ~32.

my 1 cent.

dougjones31 said:
Light golden, oatmeal, cinnamon, Apple

You sure do have a good grasp of what you want. I just made this up based on some other brews that I have made. Should be 1.069 OG - 1.018 FG @6.5% alc

5 gallon batch

7 Lbs extra light LME...

to the fermenter.

wow! you rock.

do you think you could do the same for a pumpkin ale?

oops, I should give you specs maybe...

not sweet, alcohol content not really specific.

warm and cinimminy?

doug, thanks for your replies, I cant wait to give this a try! Much appreciated buddy! Cheers..

Here is my Pumpkin ale recipe.

8 lbs Light LME
2 lbs Maple Syrup (can use Dark Brown Sugar or Molasses instead)

.5 lbs Crystal 10L
1 lb Carapils
.5 lbs Honey Malt

6 cups of Libby's 100% pure Pumpkin Puree(the kind you use for making Pies) I had to use 2 cans but i cannot remember their size. But 3/4 cup of puree = 1 lb of pumpkin. 8 lbs was my goal.

3.5 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
4.5 tsp Allspice
1 tsp Cinnamon

1 oz fuggles hops (60 mins)

Wyeast 1056 or any ale yeast

Steep grains in 2 gallons of water @ 158 degrees for 30 mins

Add extract and syrup and Fuggles hops and boil for 60 min

With 10 mins left add 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice and 2 tsp Allspice and 1 tsp cinnamon and 3 tsp Irish Moss.

Bofore you kill the flame ....add 2 quarts of water to the pot to make up for evaporation and bring it back to a boil then kill the flame.

At flameout add Pumkin, and the rest of the spices and stir until the pumkin dissolves@ 15 mins

Cool it down and transfer to fermenter. I usually top off with water to hit the 6 gallon mark to make up for the pumpkin trub.

Primary ferment until pumpkin settles well enough to rack into the secondary. I usually get it to settle to 4-5 inches deep. Usually 10 days primary and 10-14 days secondary.

If you like your pumpkin ale sweet you can add .5 lb Malto Dextrine or Lactose to the boil.

I think I might have messed this one up.... In my transcription of the brew, I forgot the oatmeal... I'm almost through the boil and have none... How bad is this brew going to be without using oatmeal??? Should I write it off as a beer that people drink once they are already loose and won't know the difference???

gauthierk said:
I think I might have messed this one up.... In my transcription of the brew, I forgot the oatmeal... I'm almost through the boil and have none... How bad is this brew going to be without using oatmeal??? Should I write it off as a beer that people drink once they are already loose and won't know the difference???

hehe, how could you forget the oatmeal!!! I have this beer in secondary right now, i'll let yhou know how the oatmeal version is!

Sounds like a great recipe, going to brew a batch this weekend and will let everyone know how it goes. One question how long did you ferment your batch do to the added sugar from the Apple Juice. I did a Summer Ale with Apricots and have had a couple of bottles explode. My fault for not doing a better job checking gravity but just curious your thoughts.

I think apple juice would require quite a bit of testing and playing around with. If your going to work with apple juice try your hands at a cider or at least read up about them and how the yeast will consume all the sugars from the apples juice. I made a batch of cider and added fresh pears in the fermenter and the final product ended up like a dry white wine, I didnt get any of the flavors of what was in there. You have to kill the fermentaion at some point to keep the fruit flavors and then force carbonate later. Extract would be simpler to use.

Not exactly the same but a modified holiday porter recipe would be interesting. It has spices like nutmeg / clove, vanilla etc.. shoot for a nice golden / amber color swap roasted grains with something lighter but malty.

@edb

Thanks for your advice. I will do some research before I begin and talk to some friends who brew a lot.

Back