Which beer style is most associated with your nation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been all over the world and I'm sad to say here in the US we probably have the worst beer. But hey, at least it's highly regulated!

You should try some of the micro brews we have in America,some are said to be among the best in the world!!! Let us not forget, we have been brewing here for over 250 years, long befor BMC.

Hi, I'm Protos and I'm a self-confessed necroposter.

If you were to choose a beer style that is most associated with your nation, be it historically or otherwise?
I just loved the question alot and I wonder why so little people answered it. Drinking down to your roots is a bloody educational thing. Knowing what your distant forefathers liked or, better, must drink for centuries whether they liked it or not because there was no such things as Local homebrewing Stores and globalisation is very insightful, I believe.
So, I'd choose a Baltic Porter.
Lotta sweet Crystal and insane levels of Alcohol. Exactly what I am made of.
I'm brewing one actually, a historical recipe.

Last edited:
For my nation? So in regards to the United States it's got to be American Lager. Bud or Miller LOL I would like to think it's some craft beer or interesting style but it's not. From a regional standpoint I'm sure it does change but the majority I believe would put us in this category.

This BUDS for you :D:D:D:D:D:D:D🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

USA Today Article Link

Article Quote:

Americans love beer. Some 40 percent of drinkers in the U.S. list the hoppy concoction as their alcoholic beverage of choice. U.S. beer consumption totaled nearly 75 litres per person in 2016 alone.

A large portion of the beer consumed comes from major beer distributors such as Molson Coors Brewing Company and Anheuser-Busch InBev. These are the types of beers you will likely see advertised during sporting events on TV — brews like Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Coors Light. Millions of barrels of these beers are shipped across the country each year.

I'm glad I live in Colorado with all of the craft brew variety.

For my nation? So in regards to the United States it's got to be American Lager. Bud or Miller LOL I would like to think it's some craft beer or interesting style but it's not. From a regional standpoint I'm sure it does change but the majority I believe would put us in this category.

This BUDS for you :D:D:D:D:D:D:D🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

USA Today Article Link

Article Quote:

I'm glad I live in Colorado with all of the craft brew variety.
Another thread back from the dead.

I think the US is so large that it would be fair to divide it up by region. But yeah, nation as a whole it would be "mass produced watered down pilsners....but we continue to work on it."

Well, I think it's better to approach the subject less statistically and more "artistically".
Statistically, we all have to associate the whole humanity with the Industrial Pisswasser because the reptiloids want us all to be exactly the same it's the best sold kind of beer worldwide.
We are not just drinkers or just customers, however. We're homebrewers!
Which means we're the last people in the universe aware of styles and of heritage.

Another thread back from the dead.

I think the US is so large that it would be fair to divide it up by region. But yeah, nation as a whole it would be "mass produced watered down pilsners....but we continue to work on it."
Yeah. This country is so diverse that it would have to come down to regions, or even states.

My wife and I were having dinner in a local brewpub a few months ago and I ordered one of their Scotch Ales. The description on the taplist claimed that this beer was representative of the favorite style among craft beer drinkers in Montana. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that that was probably an accurate description of the craft beer scene in this state. Every brewery I’ve ever been to in this state offers a Scotch/Irish/American Brown ale (the Americanized versions of those styles have a great deal of overlap) and, for many of those breweries, that dark, smooth, malty beer is their flagship beer.

All of that said, natives and long time residents of Montana often joke that the signs at the state line should read “Welcome to Montana! Set your clocks back fifty years!” :cool:

No one from Belgium yet?

The Belgian Trappist beers of course, followed by the lambics and gueuzes from Brussels (which are tart by the way, not sour. People should talk about spontaneous fermented beers, not sour beers).

But maybe the most impressive things is that there is maybe no single beer style to represent Belgian brewing.

Nothing from AbInbev (or its former incarnations) has ever impressed me.

I've spent about half my life in Japan, and I'm guessing "Japanese rice lagers" are most associated with Japan, at least by homebrewers, even though almost all of them contain malt, rice, corn, starch, and no Sorachi Ace hops.

I'm also able to describe a beer I don't care for without using the word "piss". Maybe it's something I picked up living here.

I'm also able to describe a beer I don't care for without using the word "piss". Maybe it's something I picked up living here.
😍
I feel envy. I use the "piss" word in this context regularly 🤬
I've never been to Japan. Instead, I've spent a lot of my time living in Turkey.
Probably, I need to check if my abominable word choise is something I picked up under the influence of the Turkish "çiş birası" ("pissbeer") expression 🤣

I’m from Kent, England so hop country and hoppy English beers. Quite ironic that at least 75 per cent of what I brew these days uses US hops. Before the craft revolution I was very dismissive of american beer but now it’s world leading.

But with Belgium close by, I would rather have a Belgium Blonde, Saison, and of course some Tripels.
Current country being in Southern Africa, I'm back to lager (Mosi) and whatever I brew ;)
I grew up in South Africa, before I even knew such a thing as homegrewing existed.

The Africans were drinking cheap, sour sorghum beer (I never had the guts to try it), while we were drinking lagers (Lion, Castle, etc.) from a can. Windhoek Lager was a standout, brewed to the German purity laws and a bit tasty. No “self respecting” person was ever seen in a pub…

Nowadays I live Down Under, and specifically in the small island state of Tasmania. The locals consume Cascade Lager (if you’re from the south of the state like I am), or Boags Premium Lager in the north. The northern offering is a lovely beer for a commercially produced lager, which I consume on the rare occasions that I get offered one. I pass on Cascade. My southern brethren frown on that behaviour, then they hear my accent and they nod their heads having figured out a puzzle.

Both breweries are 150+ years old.

As for craft beer, down here is being like a kid in a lollie shop. Too many great offerings to single out. I did have an Imperial Stout at a new boutique microbrewery/distillery (Overland) the other day. At 11% ABV they only sell it in small servings (5 or 10 oz), but by golly it is heaven in a glass!!!

My ancient heritage is Frankisch, which probably explains why I love beers from the Low Lands so much. Saison, Triple, witbier, you name it. I love an ice cold Hoegaarden wheat beer, which has been brewed since 1445! Had a Chimay Special Reserve with my girlfriend the other night, that was my second beergasm in a week!

Alas, so many good beers, so little time…

@rockymars : so not a fan of Chibuku or shake shake?
I have to agree with that :)
I lived in Zim for some years, with Castle, Lion, Black Label, Bohlinger, Zambezi etc
Then crossed the border to Zam with a choice of Mosi, Castle & Black Label. And that's it
Hey @Zambezi Special , can’t say that I’m not a fan because I never tried the shake-shake 😬 Funny, that’s what the beer was called in the Northern Cape where I grew up.

Black Label!!! How could I forget about that. My biggest treat after rugby training at uni was to relax in a warm bath with a Black Label and a Castle. Always two beers. Lion was too sweet for my taste.

Almost everyone in Croatia, especially until the last ten years, drinks various versions of Bavarian and Czech lagers. In recent years, the craft scene has been growing, so APA and Stout are becoming more and more popular.

I was born in Montreal and raised in LA, I'm schizophrenic. 😜 As a yute I remember Moosehead and Lowenbrau being the go tos, but now give me a cold coors banquet please and I'll claim the American Pale Lager over the Molson Golden thank you. :mug:

Unfortunately America is most associated with a 50% water 50% piss mixture...but at least it's triple hopped! Thanks Miller! Luckily, America also boasts world class craft brews and damned good beers coming out of the garages of HBT members.:mug:
Then why are AB, Miller and other giant companies multi-billion dollar industries with world-wide presence that could buy any of your micros out of pocket change? They must be selling something people want. I wish I had a fraction of their success. I get so sick of hearing these “piss water” comments.

It’s like every homebrewer with their 8 gallon stockpot and their plastic bucket thinks they know more than a multi billion dollar world wide enterprise. AB has no business model, no business plan, no quality control and no idea what they are doing, so they just crank out piss water. Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?

I know - some people would rather have the latest hazy hop bomb that looks like a glass of orange juice or the sludge I pour out of the bottom of my fermenter. That the shelves are full of in every store and every brewery has to have at least 3 of on tap at all times.

If any style is representative of what the US is drinking today its that crap - and as much you can’t understand lager I can’t understand why anybody wants cloudy beer that looks like orange juice.

Or maybe the latest sour thing every brewery wants to make. Maybe we can just save time and start making cloudy sour hop bombs. Throw a kombucha mother on top while you’re at it. Wouldn’t surprise me if somebody is doing it.

Last edited:
For the US, it would be the BMC, IPAs, and Sam Adams. And for my home state of Montana, it would be Moose Drool.

Back