Deep Six Brewing Co - Redux

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beere

Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have scrapped together enough financing to rebuild my home after the flood and some additional money for contents... some portion of this will go to building a brew shed out back. I'm in the very early planning stages at this point but would like to throw it out there for ideas or comments.

The end goal will be similar to Ed's brew hut - a free-standing building completely dedicated to the brewery.

I am really tinkering with the idea of scaling up while I do this to at least a full barrel system...

thoughts? ideas? I am probably wanting to get started here in the next few weeks...

Please run more power to the brewhut than you think you'll need. I've personally never built a brew hut, but have built a workshop. More power is always useful.

Run a natural gas line from the meter/house. Or set a large (100 lb+) propane tank out back.

I wouldn't have an outbuilding without a roof overhang by the front door. It'll be a good spot to sit in a rocking chair with a beverage you produced!

I am in the process of a move and am also planning a dedicated brew shed. I don't know if it will be free standing or attached to a garage, etc. But one thing I know I am going to want is running water & a big basin to make cleaning kettles, carboys, kegs easier

Well all good suggestions so far. I totally agree on the insulate the hell out of it. They make this radiant barrier to put on on the exterior during construction that should help a whole bunch. Check out here Insulating house wrap using radiant barrier from Innovative Insulation, Inc..

Also what about making it water tight... you know just in case :) I am glad to see you back at it and can't wait to see what you create.

Will SWMBO or your neighbors care what the shack looks like?

If not... I say go ALL THE WAY!!!

gunsmoke_galleon_page.jpg
owens_bait_shack_page.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg
swampshack06.jpg

Perhaps without the water slide? I'd keep the moat though...

asketch.jpg

These are all playhouses BTW from Tree Houses by Daniels Wood Land, Inc.

Amazing stuff but please don't hijack John's thread talking about it! :mug:

I'm having my whole house rewired and have a meeting with the electrician on Monday. I'm planning on feeding at least 100 amps to the brewery. Anyone know what Ed went with?

I have a copy of SmartDraw that I use for layouts and as soon as I get the layout for the house 100% finalized, I'll move on to laying out the brewery.

I have some great ideas on version 2.0 of my walk-in cooler that will have to be incorporated into the design.

Yeah, it might look funny out in the backyard, but the brewery will be built to the same height as the rest of the house... just in case. :)

They make these styrofoam "forms" for walls. They are put up and then filled with concrete. Have an amazing R value.

Come to think of it, you might want the FLOOR made out of this, sans concrete ! (flotation)

Howdy strangers.. Quick note that this is finally back on.. I finally have the financing lined up to start asap. The building will have to be both storage and the brewery as I turned the garage into my master bedroom suite.

It will have its own meter for electricity, hot & cold water, sewer, and natural gas. When I had my natural gas line run to the house, I made sure it was large enough to have an additional 500,000 btus for the brewery.

Now my problem is how to lay out the floorplan. I do plan on building another walk-in cooler, or at least a very large refridgerated cabinet, but I don't think it will be as built in as my previous cooler.

My guess is it will end up being around 20'x30' with a loft above it for additional storage. Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

That's a lot of gas. Good work getting back into it, John!

Best of luck with the new setup and getting back into your home!

Just saw your flood pics and it brought back horrible memories of living in Albany in 94'.

Best of luck with the new setup and getting back into your home!

Just saw your flood pics and it brought back horrible memories of living in Albany in 94'.

Ha! Since we're talking about flashbacks you should see Albany right now. The river is about a foot above flood stage. We've had what seems like weeks of non-stop all day rain. Today was the first clear day we've had in awhile.

How's the creek behind your house lookin' Gabe? I was wondering if you were seeing any flooding since the river here is about the same height as it was when you got flooded. Let me know if you need a hand with anything down there. I gotcha buddy!

Ha! Since we're talking about flashbacks you should see Albany right now. The river is about a foot above flood stage. We've had what seems like weeks of non-stop all day rain. Today was the first clear day we've had in awhile.

How's the creek behind your house lookin' Gabe? I was wondering if you were seeing any flooding since the river here is about the same height as it was when you got flooded. Let me know if you need a hand with anything down there. I gotcha buddy!

Albany doesn't need that again! Keep dry!

We seem to be high and dry here in Valdosta.. as long as the Suwannee below us doesn't back up, the Withlacoochee can freely drain into it. But I won't lie and say all this damn rain isn't giving me flashbacks.. heh.

Back