8 days and still going!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaine

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a rule for temp vs. time in fermenter. The reason I ask is this brew is the coldest I have ever brewed (aprox 5-7 C). Normally at 25 C it is completely finished after 3-4 days but the one I have down now is still going after 8 days. I obviously am going to use my hydometer to be sure its done but it would be nice to be able to anticipate how long it will take.

Colder means longer, but at 5-7C it's amazing you are getting any action at all. Most ale yeasts won't do anything below 15C. If this is a lager and a lager yeast, expect the ferment to last a month.

Really !!! That long ??? I was expecting another couple of days but wow!!! I'm using the tried and true saflager-s23 yeast. The ferment is very slow but not stuck. On their web site they say it will ferment at 9C but I have heard anecdotal evidence as low as 4C.

The performance curve for yeast is rather steep on both sides of optimum. If there is any way to warm it up to 11-12C, you'll cut the time is half.

Cheers mate, I was prepared to be a bit more patient and try a a low temp brew as I am usually fighting temp the other way ( Australian summers are not good for brewing) but I'm simply not that patient. Sound like its time to buy a warming plate !!

Back