Noob questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LooyvilleLarry

Reaction score
Ok, I have read everything I could get my hands on,twice. read the forum...lots.

Now is the time to brew...!! I have chosen a Brewers Best Oktoberfest (the last my LHBS had).

On the fermenting, how much oder does this impart into SWMBO's environment? I am concerned about having a cool enough place ( temps in the low 90's during the day). I have a ranch with a crawlspace...it might go there..

The kit came with a dry yeast--should I use a liquid or a smack pak for better results?

Thanks !
Brew Day is Sunday... :rockin:

Low 90's is definitely TOO HOT!

a bathtub full of cold water is a nice place to store your fermentor for a week or 2, and let's be honest, she's getting accustomed to the bathroom smelling bad anyway!

I was worried about my girl complaining about smell, with fermentation buckets in our shared closets.

I like the smell, but my girlfriend can't smell a thing. Thank goodness. Her poor sense of taste and smell always seemed peculiar to me, but now I really appreciate it.

Only time you'll really smell it is if fermentation is so vigorous it blows out the top of the fermenter.

otherwise its just a yeasty smell within a foot of the fermenter, and maybe some sulfur depending on the yeast strain.

I find brewing smells up the place way more than fermenting ever has. I can only wonder what the neighbors in the apartment complex think....

I would say, make a list of all the things that you would need and check it twice. I have found that preparation is 90% to successful and enjoyable brewing. Think about the location, sanitation and cooling process.

I find the odor very pleasing and fragnant.

I use dry yeast which I reconstitute in 1 cup warm water. Works fine. I think BobbyfromNJ has a video on the different types of yeasts used in fermentation. the main difference is the timing of the fermentation.

Primary: none
Secondary: Dark Cherry Ale
Bottle: Light Ale and Cream Ale
Planning: light Lager

Low 90's is definitely TOO HOT!

a bathtub full of cold water is a nice place to store your fermentor for a week or 2, and let's be honest, she's getting accustomed to the bathroom smelling bad anyway!

+1 I just did this for 3 weeks. Granted the tub gets scum all over it but it kept it cool. You might have to add ice or switch the water every so often.

The kit came with a dry yeast--should I use a liquid or a smack pak for better results?

Stick with the dry yeast and make sure it is an ale yeast and not a lager yeast. You can re-hydrate it according to the directions on the package but I just sprinkle it in. Make sure you shake the crap out of your cooled wort to aerate it, then pitch, and all should go well.
A friend of mine still swears that kit is one of the best beers he has ever made.:mug:

Back