Determining conversion from All grain to mini mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo2112

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to convert an all grain braggot recipe to a mini mash, since I am not yet set up for all grain brewing. The grain bill isn't huge on this, but I figure that the easiest thing to do would be to convert the 2 row pale malt to a liquid extract and leave the rest of the grains as is for the mini mash. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

6 lbs 2 Row Pale Malt
3 lbs 40L Crystal
.5 lb Flaked Oats
.5 lb Special Roast
10 lbs Clover honey
3 oz. Cascade (Boil)
1 oz. Fuggles (Boil at 45 min)
1 oz. Challenger (Boil at 5 min)
2 tubes White Labs WLP715 Champagne yeast

You'll need to keep some of the base malt to convert the flaked and Special, at least a pound, so maybe 3lb light DME and 2lb 2-row.

I usually try to keep 2 lbs of the base malt for the mash, then convert the rest to extract. In your recipe though, that would be 6 lbs of grain. I can only do about 5 lbs so I'd probably do:

3 lbs light LME or 2.5 lbs light DME

1.5 lbs 2-row
2.5 lbs Crystal 40L
.5 lbs flaked oats
.5 lbs Special roast

That would give me a 5 lb mash and still should be enough 2-row to convert the oats and special roast (the Crystal doesn't need the enzymes). Extract is always a little darker than 2-row so I don't think you'll miss the other .5lb of crystal.

I had found a great article on converting AG to partial mash, it doesn't seem to be on the net any more but I have a copy of it on my work computer, if you want to PM me your email address I can send it to you on Monday.

Oh, and I went into the LHBS and talked with the guys there, this is what we came up with.

7 lbs. Extra Pale Extract
7 lbs. Clover Honey
1.5 lbs. 2 Row
1 lb Crystal 40L
.5 lb Flaked Oats
.5 lb Special Roast
.5 lb Honey Malt
3 oz Cascade
1 oz Fuggles
1 oz Challenger
3 tubes White Labs WLP099 Super High Gravity yeast
and a bit of yeast nutrient to help kick things off