Well, I'm a moron...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldpoltroon

Reaction score
I hate confirming things that my wife has told me for years....;)

I have been poking around the newb areas, but have a question on my own little screw-up. Have one of the plastic 6.5 gallon Ale Pails - my first time using. Went downstairs to check the airlock today, no bubbles. Checked and sure enough, I didn't get the lid snapped down all the way so CO2 was escaping through the lid. Could smell a little faint sulfur odor. Now, it wasn't loose by any stretch, but it was open enough for gas to get out (and not go into the airlock). So..dum da dum dum.....wait for it.....

DID I RUIN MY BEER?!?!?!?! :drunk:

Thanks in advance! You guys rock. Love the site!!

You may well be a moron.

BUT!!!!
Fortunately for me...many a beer can survive stupidity.

Tell your wife to RDWHAHB

It's gonna be fine.

And while you wait...click HERE for some light reading :D

about 90% of the time, the answer is NO...No You didn't!

When I saw a thread titled "Well, I'm a moron" I had assumed it was a thread I started myself, but had forgotten about.

+1 on the relax comment. It will be fine. :)

If you've been poking around the beginner forums, you must have come upon the fact that airlock activity or lack of it should never be used to gauge fermentation....only a hydrometer can...

but ponder this....is CO2 is leaking out anywhere....nothing that can hurt your beer...

can get in.

It's fine :mug:

No worries. The CO2 just was escaping elsewhere. As long as the lid was mostly on it would mostly protect from things (wild yeast, microbes bacteria, dog hair, small children... ;)) falling directly into the wort. Once fermentation kicked in the CO2 would create a protective layer from the air as well.

Just seal 'er up now. As to the sulfur smell, is it a lager yeast you are using? That is normal for lager yeasts. Can be right foul.

Not that it's the best system, but a lot of people use or started with Mr Beer. Their fermenter doesn't have and airlock. Basically what they use is just a leaky lid!

When I saw a thread titled "Well, I'm a moron" I had assumed it was a thread I started myself, but had forgotten about.

+1 on the relax comment. It will be fine. :)

Oh, and I think other people thought it was a Laughing Gnome thread too...

:D

Back