My daughter sneezed in the wort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcole

Reaction score
I was brewing a batch of Dry Stout yesterday, worked all afternoon on it, when my 4.5 year old daughter walked up and sneezed right into the wort as I was transferring it from the boiling pot to the primary fermenter bucket.

So.. what's the chance of contamination here? Pretty high? I'm pretty sure the sneeze made it to the wort.

Its fermentiing now and showing signs of pretty good yeast activity, but I'm pretty worried that the batch may be infected.

Has this happened to anyone else? Did it turn out to be contaminated?

John

I'm betting it will be fine. And once fermentation is done, you won't be able to get your daughter's cold from drinking the beer.

What about off-flavors from the bacteria, that is if the wort gets infected?

That is mostly what I'm concerned with as I think the alcohol and fermentation will probably kill the bacteria in the end, right?

I doubt there will be any issues. I am sure particles in the air drop in the wort while people are brewing without any problems, as well as insects, leaves, etc.

OK, I don't think there will be an infection from it. The bit about not passing the cold was humor you missed because you are worrying too much about this. Relax dude and have a home brew.

OK, I don't think there will be an infection from it. The bit about not passing the cold was humor you missed because you are worrying too much about this. Relax dude and have a home brew.

Thanks. I appreciate the needed reminder. :mug:

I guess there's a line between being serious about one's beer...and being TOO serious about one's beer.

Not so sure on this one. Here's a pic from Palmers book:

Figure 17: The yeast cells are the round things, the worms are bacteria. 3000X

I think it was from wort that was spit in.

Nothing to do but wait and see. Now the real dilemma will be when the beer turns out great. How will you duplicate the recipe?

Spit.jpg

Not so sure on this one. Here's a pic from Palmers book:

Figure 17: The yeast cells are the round things, the worms are bacteria. 3000X

I think it was from wort that was spit in.

Funny you mention that picture as I had just read that part of Palmer's book the day before the sneezing incident. :)

That picture has been stuck in my mind and served to cause some of the expressed concern.

John

so did you use a starter? im guesing as the yeast starts up especially if you used a starter it will overtake any type of infection growing in there.

so did you use a starter? im guesing as the yeast starts up especially if you used a starter it will overtake any type of infection growing in there.

No, I didn't use a starter. But it looked like the yeast activity came on pretty fast in any case.

it will grow faster than any other bacteria forcing them out of existence...by this point if the yeast started vigorously your pretty much home free. Now all you need is a brew-cage to keep the daughter out

As long as you had a healthy pitch of yeast you should be fine. The yeast will rapidly make the wort an inhospitable environment for the bacteria to take off in.

A little bit of bio-chemical warfare on a microscopic level.

Do you keg? I would probably keg it after the primary and get it in the fridge quick. IMHO, if it is infected, nothing good can happen in the secondary.

ick. I thought it was bad that I drop cigar ashes in my mash tun and boil kettle (but never after the boil) frequently. Your situation seems much worse.

Do you keg? I would probably keg it after the primary and get it in the fridge quick. IMHO, if it is infected, nothing good can happen in the secondary.

Yes, I keg and bottle. I've been keeping my last couple of batches in a primary for 2 weeks followed by two weeks in a secondary.

Why do you say nothing good can happen in the secondary? Should I just leave it in the primary and then go straight to the keg after 4 weeks?

thanks,
John

My three year old son did the same thing!! The beer was wonderful and didn't last very long. Anyways, what can you do about it?? Relax, worrying won't change it.

Here's an update. Well, there was no visible or palatable contamination to speak of in my beer once I kegged it.

However, it ended up being off recipe due to using too much extract. Once I realized that the OG was too high, I tried to salvage it by diluting it down - but that just through everything out of balance.

So, in other words, the beer didn't seem to show any signs of contamination but I ended up dumping it (!!!) as I had two other beers ready for kegging (and no empty kegs) and I knew I wouldn't drink much more of it.

I doubt there will be any issues. I am sure particles in the air drop in the wort while people are brewing without any problems, as well as insects, leaves, etc.

One brew day last summer, we brought the boil pot in the the house to cool and transfer to the carboy.

We found a june bug floating! I was so frustrated, but fished him out and commenced with the transfer.

We brewed it on the last day of June, so we called it June Bug Beer. It was delicious.

I know a guy who was the brewmaster at a brewpub. He told me the story of how once while casting out of the brew kettle, his old, nasty, sweaty hat fell in!

They sold a lot of that beer!:)

This beer will probably turn out wonderful and you will need your 'lil brew buddie's co-operative nose juices for all future brews! ;)

it will grow faster than any other bacteria forcing them out of existence...by this point if the yeast started vigorously your pretty much home free. Now all you need is a brew-cage to keep the daughter out

Lake Forest CA! Man I miss being back in OC. I used to work on El Toro!

Back