Double IPA Victory Dirt Wolf Double IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this about 5 weeks ago. Bottle conditioning now. My OG was actually about 1.084 and FG was 1.012. Tried one after a week and was still very young tasting but had that nice mosaic/citra profile with a decently balanced finished. I used German pale malt as my base and used Mangrove Jack M44 as the yeast. Think it will turn out pretty good! Hope yours does kpr121!

Just tried a gravity sample, sg reading 1.011. It's been about 10 days and I'd say it's still a little "young" tasting. Very hoppy though, can't wait to hit it with dry hops (gonna cold crash first). I don't think I want to go with all citra in the dry hops, I think I might do a mix of Amarillo citra and Columbus on one keg and something funky on the other, maybe chinook Columbus and centennial?

I thought it tasted a little thin but swmbo thought it was "syrupy". That's probably all the hop oils!

I kegged the first five gallons on Saturday, and ended up with about half a gallon extra beer (probably explains my low OG). Anyhow, instead of dumping this down the drain, I racked it into a PET bottle and quick carbed it with one of those corny post caps. The wife and I agree that this is the best IPA I've made to date! And that was with ZERO dry hops and a fair amount of yeast/trub in solution from siphoning off the bottom.

Here’s my hop schedule (for 10 gallons, mind you):

60 min – 2 oz Chinook
40 min – 2 oz Columbus
10 min – 2 oz Mosaic
10 min – 3 oz Citra
5 min – 2 oz Columbus
5 min -2 oz Mosaic
5 min – 2 oz Citra
Steep (25 min at 160ish) – 2 oz Citra
Steep (25 min at 160ish) – 2 oz Chinook

Dont have any Dirt Wolf on hand to compare side by side, but I'm thinking it’s not going to be very comparable with the edits I made to the recipe. It wasn’t as much of a fruit bomb as I thought it was going to be, I think that’s probably due to the Chinook and Columbus I added to the late hops. I’m happy with that.

For dry hops on first keg I went with 2 oz Mosaic, 1.5 oz of Citra, and 1 oz of Amarillo.

Glad everyone is enjoying this beer. For me, it's all about the mosaic hops-- such a unique hop flavor.

The Amarillo really brings something delicious to the party, but it definitely detracts from the clone. I'm happy with what I made, but the Second keg may get only citra like the recipe suggests.

I just brewed this version of the dirt wolf recipe on Saturday ended up with OG-1.084. Checked on it yesterday and fermentation seems to be going fine, I ended up pitching two viles of wlp007. The thing that is confusing me is the aging in a secondary for 9weeks I'm fermenting in a conical so after initial fermentation I'm just gonna dump then dry hop. Does this really need to be aged that long?

All Grain Double IPA HomeBrew Recipe

Profile: HomeBrew recipe for a Double IPA similar to Victory DirtWolf. Extremely flavorful DIPA with notes of mango, passionfruit, pine, and grapefruit. Medium-bodied with crisp malt flavors and vibrant hoppy notes. Dry finish with high hop bitterness.

Ingredients:

Malts

18 lbs German Pilsner 2-row Malt

10 oz. Crystal 30

8 oz. CaraPils

Hops

1 oz. Simcoe 13%a, 60 minutes

1/2 oz. Chinook 13%a, 30 minutes

1 oz. Citra 11%a, 20 minutes

1 oz. Simcoe 13%a, 15 minutes

1/2 oz. Chinook 13%a, 10 minutes

1 oz. Mosaic 12%a, at 10 minutes

Yeast: WLP007 Dry English Ale

Dry-Hops: 1 oz. Citra (whole leaf), 1 oz. Mosaic, 1/2 oz. Simcoe

Instructions:

Mash all grains for 1 hour at 152 degrees.

Sparge at 170 degrees.

One hour boil with hop regimen above.

Ferment at 65-68 degrees.

Rack to keg or secondary and age for 9 weeks. Add dry hops for the last 10 days.

No way should you ever age an IPA for 9 weeks IMHO. All the hoppiness will be gone. I'd recommend drinking ASAC (as soon as carbed)!

Yeah I was sure that this was nonsense just wanted to double check. So I should let it ferment for 2 weeks then dump and dry hop for ten days or ferment until i think its done then dump and dry hop?

Ferment until fg is reached, rack to secondary with your dry hops. Don't do a set period of time.

With a big hoppy beer lIke this, ensure good practices when it comes yeast and fermentation. You want a quick, clean ferment to enjoy the hops at their freshest. As a safety precaution you may want to add fresh yeast at bottling to guarantee you'll be drinking this beer within a couple weeks rather than months after bottling. cheap champagne yeast or some top cropped yeast works nicely for this.

So I did this recipe, used Beersmith's recommended 4.01 ounces of corn sugar, and bottled it up. It is now 6 weeks old and I've got almost no carbonation, with just a tiny hiss, virtually the same as it was at 4 weeks. Additionally, the flavor is quite a bit sweeter and the body heavier than planned, which I'm guessing is the unfermented corn sugar. I obviously have to wait longer, but I am a bit concerned. Any advice?

Here are my deviations from the recipe:
My LHBS has only German 2-row, so I used that.
I didn't rack to secondary, basically on the reasoning given by Palmer and Jamil. It sat on primary for 4 weeks.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

It smells amazing, and I just kegged it for forced carbonation. I managed to get a 9.2% ABV and can't wait to taste it in a few days. Thanks for the recipe.

So I lied when I posted back in February and never actually brewed this but I'm planning on brewing the recipe for real now this weekend. Only problem is I have all the hops except for the Mosaic, LHBS is all out of those, so I'm wondering if anyone that's made this has any substitution suggestions for that variety? I really want this to come out tasting like Dirt Wolf so is the mosaic absolutely essential for that or can I use something else to get a similar flavor? Thanks!

Edit: Just called the shop to reconfrim and they actually do have Mosaic hops so everything is a go.

Can't wait to get this in the fermenter

Me thinks mosaic is key for the clone...if you want a clone that is.
Otherwise, have fun but pick something with a strong flavor.

Sadly the aroma of the beer has faded over the past week. I'm a little bummed about that. It's still tasty

Brewing this up right now. Making a 4 gallon batch, hoping for about 8% abv

Going to add 1/2 lb of turbinado sugar during the boil and also going to change up the hop schedule a bit

.5 oz Columbus @60
.5 oz Chinook@30
.5 oz each citra, simcoe, mosaic@10
.5 oz each citra, simcoe, mosaic @5
1 oz each citra,simcoe, mosaic @whirlpool
.5 oz each citra, simcoe, mosaic for a 7 day dry hop then another .5 oz of each hop in the final three days

US-05 yeast but I wish I had 04. Anyway I'll keep it updated on how it comes out

This was a big hit at a Halloween party I hosted. Went through 5gal in 3 hours. Everyone was raving about it. Not bad for an extract brew

Wolf.png

Ferment until fg is reached, rack to secondary with your dry hops. Don't do a set period of time.

With a big hoppy beer lIke this, ensure good practices when it comes yeast and fermentation. You want a quick, clean ferment to enjoy the hops at their freshest. As a safety precaution you may want to add fresh yeast at bottling to guarantee you'll be drinking this beer within a couple weeks rather than months after bottling. cheap champagne yeast or some top cropped yeast works nicely for this.

I know this post is 5 months old, but wouldn't champagne yeast be a bad idea? Those yeasts eat more sugar than an ale yeast, so might you not possibly end up with bottle-bombs? Unless you aren't using any priming sugar, that is...

Hmm, now I want to experiment! If only I wasn't on a brewing hiatus...

:(

1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt – 10L
12 lbs Extra Light DME
1.00 oz Chinook Pellets 65min
1.00 oz Simcoe Pellets 40min
1.00 oz Citra Pellets 25min
1.00 oz Mosaic Pellets 25min
0.25 tsp Irish Moss 15min
1.00 oz Citra Pellets 10min
1.00 oz Mosaic Pellets 10min
1.00 oz Citra Pellets 1min

2.0 Safale 05 Yeast

2.00 oz Citra Pellets Dry Hop 7 Days

I just tasted my hydrometer sample and damn if this doesnt come very close to Dirt Wolf! Thank you for the recipe, I was somewhat skeptical cause none of the clone recipes ive tried has actually tasted like the mersh product but this one has hit the mark all the way. I will post up pics and a proper review when bottles are carbonated and conditioned.

I know this post is 5 months old, but wouldn't champagne yeast be a bad idea? Those yeasts eat more sugar than an ale yeast, so might you not possibly end up with bottle-bombs? Unless you aren't using any priming sugar, that is...

Hmm, now I want to experiment! If only I wasn't on a brewing hiatus...

:(

Nope. Beer yeast will eat up more complex sugars than wine yeast so you have nothing to worry about. Overcarbonation could only come into play if your beer yeast couldn't handle the alcohol content of your beer or it crapped out prematurely

Victory uses a Kolsch yeast for Dirt Wolf and Vital. Keep in mind all of the boiling hop additions are whole cone at Victory. They dry hop with pellets.

Back