got an old CO2 tank that is full. still ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOPSareKEY

Reaction score
I recently aquired a 15lb tank that is full, good condition on the outside, a sticker that says co2, and a hydrotest stamp of 2001. Is this still ok to use? Im worried about it changing somehow or a possibility of it not actually being co2 in there?? Anyway to tell or am I just being paranoid?

Hook it up to a regulator and see if the pressure/temperature matches with the chart. I'm currently using a tank I picked up with the last hydro date of 94.
co2pv.gif

I used co2 from a tank that was last tested in 1964. It was fine. Co2 is millions of years old. I doubt it would change much in 10 years.

Ok thanks everyone. What about the issue of not being 100% sure its co2 and only relying on the labeling? It was from a warehouse so I didnt talk to previous owner.

If you don't know what it was for make sure the tank isn't equipped with a siphon valve or your regulator will most likely break from liquid co2 entering it.

Back