Can someone help with force carb and bottling cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzanneb

Reaction score
i have done some searching they archives but can't find a good link that pertains to my situation.
i have some cider in a carboy. i want to kil the yeast and force carb it.
i have some campden tablets? is that they way to go?
my big question is about temperature. all the threads i read said that if your keg was cold you dont need to worry about yeast. i am doing mine at room temperature so i wanna kill the yeast. how much campden do i use and do i just add it in and wait? or do i rack and then campden and then rack again to keg or something????
i wanna backsweeten a bit so i dont want any living yeast yet?

as far as carbing i was gonna carb at 20 psi for 3-4 days. does that make sense?
and then bottle it.
any advice or thread links are appreciated.

Add Sorbistat K along with some Potassium Metabisulfite (The Sorbistat will tell you how much Kmeta to use). Then backsweeten with more juice or sugar and force carb. I do this with my apfelwine, backsweetening with a gallon of juice.

Sorbistat K is Potassium Sorbate and will prevent fermentation. It will NOT stop an active fermentation to let the cider ferment completely first.

EDIT: Found my notes; use 20ml of a 10% Kmeta solution anlong with 4g or Sorbistat K. This is for 5 gallons. Sweeten to taste.

Back