well, my honey brown ale.....fermented in 4 days.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heertsy

Reaction score
Put it in the fermenter in Friday afternoon. Was bubbling by Saturday afternoon. Was all done bubbling by Tuesday night. Was constantly around 66 degrees.

Sound normal???

Will start my two day hydrometer readings tomorrow (Thurs.)

From what others have said, that doesn't sound out of normal range. Granted, fermentation seems to have a rather large 'normal range' 1-10 days from what I gather.

Thanks guys. Yeah am not even gonna THINK about racking until probably Monday at the EARLIEST, that would give it 10 days in the fermenter.

Not doing secondaries yet.

so...what are you racking to? i'd wait at least two weeks if you're going straight to bottle. the beer may be done, but the yeasties are still cleaning up after themselves...

DeathBrewer said:
so...what are you racking to? i'd wait at least two weeks if you're going straight to bottle. the beer may be done, but the yeasties are still cleaning up after themselves...

Correct...and to piggy back on this, if you aren't doing a secondary, give the carboy a swirl or 2 after day 7....that will resuspend the yeast and help clean up further.

Four days sounds just right for most fermentations. Hell, my double IPA (1.092->1.014) didn't take much more than 4 days. I always follow the 1-2-3 rule anyway. One week in primary, Two in secondary, then three in the bottle.

You mention this is a honey brown ale. Honey takes forever to ferment. We did a Belgian Wit with a pound of honey and it kept going and going and going... Two weeks is totally normal.

My honey brown was put in primary on Sunday and when I check it last night there was still a hefty amount of krausen but the bubbles were very few and far between. I'll wait til Sunday to rack to secondary and do my readings then. Meanwhile, I've got a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein that is still bubbling away after almost 6 days. It's slower now but hasn't even begun to clear out. I can't wait for that one!!

These will be my first two batches that go straight to the keg from secondary!!

not uncommon, but I do know beer brewed with honey can sometimes take longer because there are some unfermentable sugars that the yeast try and eat up I guess. I know mine took a little longer than normal with a nice starter to

Ok, i will swirl it around and wait ANOTHER week, because yes....I am racking right to the bottle.

I do have more dry yeast on hand.............do i throw another packet in???????

No, if your fg is where it should be there is no need for more yeast. Just do your swirl (check the sg first if you haven't) and walk away and don't touch it for another week! (I think that's the hardest part!)

Back