Where to buy erlenmeyer flask from

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmurph6

Reaction score
Title is pretty self explanatory. I read northern brewers reviews on their erlenmeyers and it wasn't positive. Was wondering who has the best price for the quality.

I wonder if they started using a new model after the old one got bad reviews. I just bought one from them and it's made by fischer, which is a reasonably good name in lab glass.

Otherwise, amazon sells a pyrex 2L flask: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BLKL4W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Discount lab supply stores like Cynmar will be cheaper, but you sometimes get what you pay for there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a 4 pack of 2L flasks from a place in NJ and with shipping it was like $48 I think, I'll post their web adress tomorow when I get to the office.
@ Mr.pat I'm in ossining too, are you in the WHO?
-noah

There are deals to be had on ebay. I got my 6 liter there for like 30$ shipped if I remember right. Its Pyrex and has been working great so far, even directly on the stove. I heard that newer pyrex is supposed to be crappy not sure if thats for just the commercial stuff or the lab supply stuff as well but mine has been good so far.

>>Otherwise, amazon sells a pyrex 2L flask: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BLKL4W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

$41 is kind of steep, at least to me.
I got mine when I bought my Stir Starter from Bell.

I dont heat it, and try to be very careful setting it down.
I noticed 3 tiny bubbles in the glass in different spots

rather than the flasks, I'd like a nice 2L Pyrex beaker, for $20

2L Pyrex flask for $20 HERE.

They also sell stirbars for about $4-5 with free shipping here
I purchased three stirbars, and they seem of good quality. Website says PTFE, but no documentation came with the package.

Wouldn't a beaker be better than a flask, since its easier to pour into, and it takes up less verticle space?

Wouldn't a beaker be better than a flask, since its easier to pour into, and it takes up less verticle space?

Probably, should work about the same. Personally I think the flask looks cooler and makes me feel like a mad scientist.

These are good quality as far as I can tell, no bubbles, thick enough walls, we were happy, still in uses a year later. The shipping was basic UPS (I think UPS) and if you can put together a big group buy it works out to very little per Pc.

http://www.fdglass.com/products/details/24

I just ordered a 3L flask from Amazon for $31. I belive that's in line with what other places are selling that size for. I wanted to get one from the LHBS but they only carry 2L and 5L sozes (I have a 2L).

I used the 2L for the first time, on the stir plate with good results. I used a rare earth magnet to retrieve the stir bar. Wow, those suckers are STRONG! 18# strength is no joke. Held the bar to the inside of the flask as I swirled to get all the yeast into a flowing state (didn't brew at home). Alsl held it well while I poured and even while I cleaned it out. I plan to make all my starters this way now.

I hope to get the new flask in time to make another starter for Friday's batch. If not, the 2L could get me close enough.

>>I use 1 gallon pickle jars. They work perfectly.

I'd love a gallon of good pickles :)

>>Personally I think the flask looks cooler and makes me feel like a mad scientist.
True, my wife commented on the size of the flask I got

I'm still wondering if I need to add a stronger magnet to my Stir Starter. I read about that in some thread here. The make of the stir starter said it wasnt necessary

From my own experimentation with my stir plate, flask and a few different sized stir bars, size of the bar matters most. The more liquid in the flask, the larger the bar needs to be to create the same size vortex without spinning so fast it throws the bar. I have a 2" bar on it's way that should allow me to make at least 3L starters without spinning it too fast. I also have one that's about 1-1/2" long that did well for up to 2L. Since I also have a 3L flask coming, I wanted to make sure I had a long enough stir bar to do the job...

I went with a pre-made stir plate too. I got the Hanna HI 190M plate...

BTW, got to love how Amazon has so much of this stuff.

I just ordered a 2L from this place. I'm hoping it's of decent quality, but I guess I'll have to wait and find out.

I just cancelled this order when they told me the flask was on backorder.

I ended up ordering one from here.

This seems to be the exact same flask posted earlier in this thread from amazon, except significantly cheaper.

TucsonTRD said:
I just cancelled this order when they told me the flask was on backorder.

I ended up ordering one from here.

This seems to be the exact same flask posted earlier in this thread from amazon, except significantly cheaper.

Awesome, Pyrex flask for 20 bucks, can't beat that!

My 3L (3000ML) flash is slated for delivery tomorrow. Only concern I have is that it arrives in one piece. Due to things changing on this end, I probably won't be brewing this weekend. But, since my 2" stir bar also arrived (today) I'll be able to test the setup out.

Do you have a private account with Fisher, or are you part of a university/research company? Our club is looking to do a big glass order for starter making, and everyone is really jealous of the 3000ml E-flask I borrowed from the lab.

I just got a 2000ml flask on eBay for $17 shipped, it's a Pyrex I am trying it out in a day or 2. I think that's one of those things you need to patient for to get the right deal.

If you're using a stir plate it doesn't really mater what you use, Erlenmeyer invented his flask so you could stir the contents inside one handedly by swirling it around. So unless you are hand agitating the starter, you can use any glass container.

Do you have a private account with Fisher, or are you part of a university/research company? Our club is looking to do a big glass order for starter making, and everyone is really jealous of the 3000ml E-flask I borrowed from the lab.

Private but I told them I am a small 1 person R&D company. They set up the account without questions and I use my home address. You have to give them a credit card to keep on file and all purchases go through that card. It's really simple.

If you're using a stir plate it doesn't really mater what you use, Erlenmeyer invented his flask so you could stir the contents inside one handedly by swirling it around. So unless you are hand agitating the starter, you can use any glass container.

Not entirely true. In my experiences some glass containers have rounded bottoms that make it difficult for the stirbar to sit

It's a little easier to keep crud (bacteria, dirt, wild yeast, etc) from falling into a smaller opening, especially when transferring stuff into it. Otherwise, use whatever works for you.

For me the real advantage of Erlenmeyer flask is I can boil the starter wort in the flask and then cover it with foil as soon as I remove it from the heat (which one could also do with a beaker). Erlenmeyer have a larger surface area so they cool more rapidly in an ice bath then other glass containers.

Not entirely true. In my experiences some glass containers have rounded bottoms that make it difficult for the stirbar to sit
I have a 500ml and a 2000ml Erlenmeyer flasks but I for really big starters I will then step up to a one gallon pickle jar which has a concave bottom I was happy to discover my stir-bar and DYI stir-plate have no difficult doing their thing on the concave bottom, they also work with mason jars.

Back