Fresh cider to make cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFBEER

Reaction score
All the recipes here are calling for fresh apple juice to make cider. What would happen if I were to use a really good unpasteurized apple cider as my base? Is that even possible? Would it turn out just wrong with all the other spices in it? Should I just stop typing and try it in a small batch to see for myself? Some one pass me a beer.:mug:

Unpasteurized juice/cider is what you should use - preferably made with good cider apples. If its not fresh, add campden/k-meta before pitching the yeast, but if its fresh, skip the k-meta and it will taste a lot better.

I'd recommending skipping all of the spices and whatnot as well. If you start with store bought juice, it will ferment out with nearly zero flavor and needs something to make it drinkable. If you start with really good juice, you will get really good cider. Just pitch a little ale yeast or let it wild ferment. If you like it with a bit of sweetness, cold crash it or let it ferment out if you like it dry

Back