Using Homegrown Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer84

Reaction score
This is my first year growing hops and so far things are going great. I do have a question about using them in brewing. The question is: if I were to use my own homegrown hops as, lets say a 15 min or even a 5 min addition near the end of the boil, will that effect my over all HBU's?

Thank you for any help on this.

I'm getting ready to use first year cascades I grew this year. I was wondering the same thing. My plan is to just take a ballpark average of the typical cascade AA and call it good. Late additions won't matter as much in that regard anyway.

I'm also wondering about the quantity. If I normally use 1oz of pellets should I go up to 1.25oz of dried cones? I'm trying to figure out if I should vacuum pack them into 1oz packages or something else like 1.25oz.

I used my homegrown 1st year nugget and cascades in my last brew. The bittering is ok, the aroma and flavor I would have liked to be a little more. I would say I would use 1.5 oz of homegrown for the same as 1 oz pellets next time

From what I've read, home grow hops can be more potent than commercially grow hops. Maybe not the first year but after that they can be.

Back