I just realized I brewed a 2.6 abv beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timgman

Reaction score
I just realized that I brewed a 2.6 abv beer.
can I add more fermentables? in secondary? or should I leave it.. man I've screwed this one upo from the start.
I used a older (still in date) coopers ipa kit without any additions other than 1 oz cascade for aroma. I was going to (GOING TO) only do a 3 gallon batch with the 1.7 kg coopers kit... avoiding the addition of sugar or other fermentables...
anyway I added all 5 gallons to the pail in a rush.
according to most online calculators a 1.7 kg lme in 5 gallons will be 2.6 abv...
..............Pretty much worthless.

Maybe I can tempt some BMC fans to home-brew.. hehehe
the funny thing is that I read my notes today an recalled my 3 gallon plan and why I was doing it ... nice....
hehe
any suggestions?
add sugar directly to fermenter? hehehe
:rockin:

If you just want more ABV, you could add vodka or Everclear. It might be awesome as it is. Taste it. If it lacks body, you could blend it with a higher-gravity beer or add (boiled) maltodextrin....

Leave it alone.

Brew another kit and blend them when the second one is done. :D

Good idea!

I'd just leave it alone and drink it anyway. As long as it tastes good, you can always make another batch with a higher abv if that's what you were shooting for.

Nothing wrong with a low abv beer. Session beers are great. Just think of yourself as being ahead of the game.
What does that mean?

Well, most everyone when they start out (myself included) are pretty set on making bigger and bigger beers.

After awhile (hopefully) you come to enjoy beer for itself and not the extremities that are possible. You start to purposefully brew low gravity "session beers" to quaff and enjoy.

To be fair I should probably point out that I am on the verge of druck...

yummy barley wine.

Nevertheless, I love some good english mild or ordinary bitter.

Talking of which. Hark, the kegerator calls!

If I wanted to add some vodka how would I do that? I bottle I don't keg so I can't kill the yeasties...
any advise?>
This is like my 20'th batch BTW. hehehe
I'm a Looser....

well 2.8% is the low end of an English mild. It is a bit lower than an ordinary bitter, but call it that.

Just leave it and enjoy, stop worrying, and brew another batch.

With everybody else, just bottle it, and drink away.

I am a noob and love having a strong and big beer. I have added Brown Sugar and Cane Sugar to recipes to make them a bit stronger, but it does change the color. I would not do this with an IPA tho.

I like the idea of just drinking it as is, but I have been tempted in the past to make another batch to blend together. Never have though because I am impatient :)

There is another benefit to a small first beer. It will finish up lickety split. You really will be able to bottle this sucker in about a week and then only 2 1/2 - 3 weeks in bottle and it will be ready.

If I wanted to add some vodka how would I do that? I bottle I don't keg so I can't kill the yeasties...
any advise?>
This is like my 20'th batch BTW. hehehe
I'm a Looser....

It's "Loser". :D

That's another reason to love kegging. "Adjusting" the beer is no problem.

Do the math first. Determine your total volume, and total ABV. Then, figure out how much alcohol total that is. Then, decide how high you want your ABV. Figure out how many ounces of alcohol you need to add. Then, figure out how much vodka that is. Remember, vodka is only 40% alcohol, so you will need to adjust for that. Add the alcohol to your bottling bucket along with your beer, then bottle as usual. Everclear is easier to figure, it is 100% alcohol.

I will have to check my notes at work. I was bored in a meeting and did all the calculations. They thought I was taking notes on the meeting.

:mug:

(ETA: I think a liter of vodka should put you right at 5%)

It's "Loser". :D

That's another reason to love kegging. "Adjusting" the beer is no problem.

Do the math first. Determine your total volume, and total ABV. Then, figure out how much alcohol total that is. Then, decide how high you want your ABV. Figure out how many ounces of alcohol you need to add. Then, figure out how much vodka that is. Remember, vodka is only 40% alcohol, so you will need to adjust for that. Add the alcohol to your bottling bucket along with your beer, then bottle as usual. Everclear is easier to figure, it is 100% alcohol.

I will have to check my notes at work. I was bored in a meeting and did all the calculations. They thought I was taking notes on the meeting.

:mug:

(ETA: I think a liter of vodka should put you right at 5%)

I meant Lo oh oh oh Zer er er .... like ace ventura.

my esb came out at 3.4. It's one of the best beers I've made yet.

So good, I made another batch. It's cheap and easy and will always have it's own tap in my keezer.

B

Don't take offense - but I think this whole race for uber alcohol levels is kind of silly. I rarely drink to get hammered anymore (I'm showing my age I know) been there done that way too many times:D For me its taste - taste - drinkability that matters.

My first batch of Alaskan Amber is conditioning in the bottles now - on my first time doing measurements and calculations I'm at 2.3%. Looking back at my first time brewing I can see several tweaks to do to my brewing process that will improve flavor and probably ABV.

But my approach here is similar to investing ... if you're making money your doing fine --- meaning you sold at $25/share and made money even if the stock finally topped out $30/share.

So if your homebrew is decent and drinkable - thats a win. Take notes - learn more and brew again ....

You've got a nice beer that you can drink two glasses of when you would've only been able to have one.

And if you want more alcohol... BOILERMAKERS!

Back