spicy beer!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz

Reaction score
im a big fan of spicy food:rockin:.. just saw something on tv about chilli beer. dont know if anyone has tried it, but it has a little chilli in it... was just wondering if this is something i can do also at home, anyone know of any spicy beer recipe?

horrible, horrible stuff. And I like over-the-top spicy food. Rogue's chipotle ale is much better, more balanced...that junk with the jalapeno in the bottle is just...there's nothing right about it. Beer should be that way.

I had a bottle at a Thai restaurant during a very spicy meal. I was chatting with the bartender and said I was open to pretty much any beer. She called my bluff and put one of these in front of me. My taste buds were pretty zapped at that point, but I found it surprisingly drinkable. I'll never buy any though, but hey, when someone puts a free one in front of me, I'll drink it. She didn't charge me (she didn't charge me for much that night, actually).

Cave Creek Chili beer. That stuff was a horrible experience. No flavor from the pepper, and no aroma, just heat and not on the tongue, it was all in the throat and kept burning all the way down. On the website they say they use serrano peppers.

Check out the Basic Brewing Radio podcast about Fruit Beers with Randy Mosher. They touch on chilie beer. The only thing i can remember is that you actively have to take the chilie off the beer (or vice versa) as the longer you leave it on the "hotter" the beer gets.

Cave Creek Chili beer. That stuff was a horrible experience. No flavor from the pepper, and no aroma, just heat and not on the tongue, it was all in the throat and kept burning all the way down. On the website they say they use serrano peppers.

I had the Cave Creek Chili beer last week. I beg to differ on your review. I agree with it being spicy in the throat and stomach and not the mouth; however, all i could taste was "pepper" flavor. It tasted nothing like beer.

I had the Cave Creek Chili beer last week. I beg to differ on your review. I agree with it being spicy in the throat and stomach and not the mouth; however, all i could taste was "pepper" flavor. It tasted nothing like beer.
You're probably right, it was a year ago that I had it, so I'm reviewing from memory. I remember hating it and I remember why.

I am also a chilihead that tried to unsuccessfully combine two loves. I made a Chipotle Irish Red that turned out pretty horrible. I use it to cook with, so it isn't going to waste at least.

I just bottled my chili beer. I used 4 oz of roasted serrano peppers with most of the seeds removed. I racked the beer to secondary onto the peppers and let it sit for one week. The beer is absolutely delicious for the three seconds before the searing heat kicks in. I'm going to use this batch for cooking and try again with fewer peppers.

If you want just the pepper flavor without the heat, there are ways of doing that. Roasting and removing the membrane/seeds on the inside will give this. Good Eats has an episode with just about everything you need to know about chile's for cooking:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back