Combine 2 batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fakie

Reaction score
First post! I've been reading for a long time and you guys pretty much taught me how to make beer. Thank you!!

I have equipment to make all grain 3 gal batches. I want to make a bigger Oktoberfest this year. I was thinking of brewing two regular batches and then combining into 6 gal carb.

I'd rather not brew twice in one day...long day! I was thinking of splitting it sat and sun. What do I do with the beer from sat until Sundays batch is done? Keep in 3g carb? Pitch yeast? Use 6g carb?

Thank you!!

I'd pitch into the first batch once its down to temp (50ish) and rack the 2nd batch when its ready. i'd think twice about putting 6gals into a 6gal carboy tho.

I won't actually have 6 gallons. They end up being less than 3 gal. I just use 3gal carbs. I'll leave head space.

So I should brew 2.5g sat into 6gal carb and pitch and then add the other 2.5g on Sunday and pitch the rest of the yeast?

you shouldn't need to add anymore yeast, the first half will essentially act as a starter for the rest

I think I'm a little confused at what you're going to try to do. How do you plan on making it bigger? Bigger as in more, or bigger as in increased alcohol. I would think to wait until you have all of your finished wort ready to go before you pitch, but dcp27 probably has a little experience over me, so between the two, I'd choose their advice.

Sorry...probably making this more difficult than it should be. Bigger as in more volume.

If I generally use a pack of dry yeast for a 3g batch, do I pitch 2 packs with Saturdays beer and then just rack Sundays beer on top when ready? Or should I add one pack of yeast Saturday and then the other one Sunday?

Thanks for the help!

If its a standard yeast packet, that's what most of us use for 5 gal batches anyway, so you likely need just one. And as dcp27 said, if you pitch in the first one on Sat, it should act as a giant starter and you shouldn't need to pitch again at all. The only thing I'd say is be as conscience as possible about sanitizing.

given you have some activity come the time to add the 2nd half, 1 pack will be fine

i've done it, so I know it works, but if you want some other proof, you can use this if you'd like to see for yourself (put in full batch at the top & step 1 as your first half): http://yeastcalc.com/

If its a standard yeast packet, that's what most of us use for 5 gal batches anyway, so you likely need just one. .

being a lager you would need 2 for a 5gal batch

Ok I'm with you. I just assumed that you used more than a pack for 5g batches. I've never made that much. I understand the theory with the starter too.

Thank you for you help...much appreciated!! Cheers

Back