Thoughts or suggestions on my SMaSH recipe and process?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsme_timd

Reaction score
Trying my hand at a SMaSH receipe. Getting ready to get the parts and make my cooler into a MLT and will use it for this recipe. Any input on my recipe or process?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe: SMaSHed Otter TYPE: All Grain
Style: Specialty Beer
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 5.3 SRM SRM RANGE: 5.0-50.0 SRM
IBU: 32.4 IBUs Tinseth IBU RANGE: 5.0-70.0 IBUs
OG: 1.068 SG OG RANGE: 1.030-1.110 SG
FG: 1.012 SG FG RANGE: 1.006-1.024 SG
BU:GU: 0.475 Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz Est ABV: 7.4 %
EE%: 72.00 % Batch: 4.00 gal Boil: 5.48 gal BT: 60 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.80 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -

Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs Total Hops: 2.00 oz oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.40 ------
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 100.0 %

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 12.50 qt of water at 164 150.0 F 75 min

---SPARGE PROCESS---
>>>>>>>>>>-RECYCLE FIRST RUNNINGS & VERIFY GRAIN/MLT TEMPS: 72.0 F/72.0 F
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD BOIL CHEMICALS BEFORE FWH
Fly sparge with 3.81 gal water at 168.0 F

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.059 SG Est OG: 1.068 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 3 18.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 30.0 Hop 4 14.1 IBUs
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 5 -

---FERM PROCESS-----------------------------
Primary Start: 5/7/2013 - 14.00 Days at 65.0 F
Secondary Start: 5/21/2013 - 7.00 Days at 65.0 F
Bottling Date: 5/28/2013
---NOTES------------------------------------

Looks pretty similar to a recipe I recently brewed, 10lb MO and 3oz Cascade which I think were fairly low AA% hops as well. 1oz each at 60, 30, and 5 minutes. If there were one change I would make it would be more hops. The beer is pretty balanced but I feel might be a little better with a little more hop character. Depends on your taste. The good thing about this type of recipe is that it seems pretty difficult to screw up. Good luck on your first all grain!

Looks pretty similar to a recipe I recently brewed, 10lb MO and 3oz Cascade which I think were fairly low AA% hops as well. 1oz each at 60, 30, and 5 minutes. If there were one change I would make it would be more hops. The beer is pretty balanced but I feel might be a little better with a little more hop character. Depends on your taste. The good thing about this type of recipe is that it seems pretty difficult to screw up. Good luck on your first all grain!

If you want to taste the hops 1oz at 60 and 1 at 30 won't taste like anything

Thanks guys.

For the hops... I like a noticeable citrus flavor but I don't like any (or much) bitterness. I want the hops to be noticeable but I still want the beer to be balanced. My personal palate is for malty/yeasty beers. Stouts, porters, quads/BSDA's. I don't care for most IPA's but tried Blue Pointe No Apologies and loved it. Lots of hop character with very little bitterness.

Any suggestions based on the above info?

Looks like you'll want more hops. Late additions will add little to no bitterness but will increase your flavor and aroma tremendously.
The way you have it set up now, it will be a very unbalanced (to the malt side), high ABV English bitter.
With an OG of 1.068 you could safely bitter to 40 ibus without overdoing it on the bitterness. Another 10 ibus worth of late hops (10m, flameout) will give you a nice balanced beer with no harsh bitterness.

Edit: For more sweetness and body increase your mash temp to 152 and use s-04 yeast or something similar.

You'll want to avoid a lot of boiled hops and use post boil additions i.e hop steep or dry hop. You should have some bitterness for balance so add some 60 minute hops but then add nothing until after the boil. I would do some research on hop stands/steeps but if that sounds like too much then look up hop bursting.

I did a smash a few months ago for the first time. I used Marris otter and Amarillo. I did a 10 gallon batch with just 3 oz. the suggestions that I got were to FWH 2 oz and then add .25oz starting at 20mins, adding .25oz every 5mins. Save the last .25oz for whirlpool. When wort reaches 170*F add hops and hold for 20mins. Chill and pitch yeast. I was amazed on how far 3 oz went. My smash came out smooth with TONS of tangerine and grapefruit. I'm brewing up a RYE IPA this weekend and will follow the same schedule. I like what it produces.

Cheers

Thanks for the input everyone.

We ended using 4 oz. total. 1 oz @ 60 / 1 oz @ 40 and 2 oz for 10 minutes at flame-out.

Back