English yeast in an APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waynep005

Reaction score
Realized that yesterday I pitched some S-04 in my citra pale ale by mistake. I am curious how it will turn out. Anyone have an idea?

Probably great. 04 is great for pale ale. It's a bit bready-er, maybe a touch more fruity, and may attenuate a bit less than a clean American strain, but if you keep temps in check it should make a very nice APA. Many commercial APAs use clean English strains.

I love English yeast, and use it in the Zombie dust clone floating around here. It's awesome!!

Thanx I figured that it would make a good beer now I want to see how it compares to the last time I made this recipe.

Thanx I figured that it would make a good beer now I want to see how it compares to the last time I made this recipe.

Just another point, citra are uber fruity hops, I think they're a great choice for a beer using English yeast. I use 1318 for my house APA, and that yeast is a bit fruitier than 04 and I love the way it works with the citrus-y hops and light malt flavor of an APA. I think you'll find that you like what a yeast like that can do to American pale ale.

I like to try some yeasts that are not standard sometimes. I used a kolsch yeast in a wheat ale and love it I just did not plan this and had not taken the time to figure out how it might taste. Sounds like it should be good.

I made a 10 gal apa this year with citra and simcoe and split it and pitched s05 in one and s04 in the other. I like the s04 better - I think it's one of the beers I have made.

haha, I see what you did there;)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 68.18 %
5.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 22.73 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1.50 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (60 min) Hops 30.9 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (15 min) Hops 10.2 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (5 min) Hops 2.1 IBU