Down under

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keg2881

Reaction score
Looking to make a winter-ish IIPA with down under hops and yeast what do you recipe experts think?

Down under IIPA

Style: Imperial IPA OG: 1.097
Type: All Grain FG: 1.026
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 9.30 %
Calories: 318 IBU's: 104.13
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 5.88 Gal
Color: 24.6 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Boil Time: 90 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 14 days @ 75.0°F
Secondary 60 days @ 72.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
16.00 lbs 84.21 % Briess 2-Row Pale Ale Malt 60 mins 1.037
2.00 lbs 10.53 % Briess Caramel Organic 120L 60 mins 1.032
1.00 lbs 5.26 % Oats, Flaked 60 mins 1.037

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.50 ozs 53.82 Nelson Sauvin 90 mins 13.00
1.50 ozs 50.32 Nelson Sauvin 60 mins 13.00
1.00 ozs 0.00 Nelson Sauvin 0 mins 13.00
1.00 ozs Nelson Sauvin 30 days 13.00
1.00 ozs Nelson Sauvin 60 days 13.00

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Australian Ale White Labs 0009

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 oz Whirlfloc Tablet 15 mins Boil
1.00 oz Oak Chips 90 days Secondary

Mash Profile
Sacch' Rest 60 min @ 154.0°F
Add 28.50 qt ( 1.50 qt/lb ) water @ 168.7°F
Sparge
Sparge 6.90 qt of 170.0°F water over 60 mins

Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
10.1 psi Force Carbonation 40.0°F 2.30

The 90 and 60 minute hops are both doing almost exactly the same thing. I would move some of the 60 to 90, and the rest to 20 to keep the bitterness at whatever level you want, but add some hop flavor.

And it looks like the color is going to be really dark for an IPA. Maybe change the crystal 120 to something lighter?

for an IIPA i agree that 2#s of 120l is a bit much for color and flavor, coupled with a 1lb of oats I think you'll have a very thick beer esp mashing at 154 - you can prob use a low quantity of a darker malt to get the same color impact with less flavor impact

i was advised to save the nelson for later additions and bitter with something high AA and nuetral and throw the nelson's in later to take advantage of their flavor/aroma

also 1oz flameout seems quite low - I've heard the nelson are pungent and strong but only 1oz late addition is way low for a IIPA

also, are the dry hop additions in the keg?
30day and 60day long dry hop at room temp seems necessary and could extract some unwelcomed flavors but i'm assuming that's keg hopping

i believe the aussie yeast is coopers - i contemplated it in a recipe before but didn't see too much about it aside from some comments on being "bready"
I would like to hear your feedback if you do use it

I haven't used oak yet but the chips are supposed to give off a stronger flavor much quicker so 90days may be overpowering, I'm also thinking that you'll lose a bit of hope flavor/aroma if it's aged that long - IIPAs should be consumed fresh

for an IIPA i agree that 2#s of 120l is a bit much for color and flavor, coupled with a 1lb of oats I think you'll have a very thick beer esp mashing at 154

i was advised to save the nelson for later additions and bitter with something high AA and nuetral and throw the nelson's in later to take advantage of their flavor/aroma

also 1oz flameout seems quite low - I've heard the nelson are pungent and strong but only 1oz late addition is way low for a IIPA

also, are the dry hop additions in the keg?
30day and 60day long dry hop at room temp seems necessary and could extract some unwelcomed flavors but i'm assuming that's keg hopping

i believe the aussie yeast is coopers - i contemplated it in a recipe before but didn't see too much about it aside from some comments on being "bready"
I would like to hear your feedback if you do use it

I haven't used oak yet but the chips are supposed to give off a stronger flavor much quicker so 90days may be overpowering, I'm also thinking that you'll lose a bit of hope flavor/aroma if it's aged that long - IIPAs should be consumed fresh

I am trying to have a somewhat complex IIPA for the winter. feel free to copy and edit my original recipe.

Back